• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surfing

talbert89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is anyone successfully surfing an AR190 ropless and if you are what is your set up? I would really love to surf mine.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
We surf our ar195 ropeless....

200 lb yamaha bag port or starboard side. 650lb bag centered. Wake enhancer (wake booster) installed surf side.

I'm 215lbs and use a 5ft 3in board.

Do you have Ridesteady gps speed control? Without that it would probably not be possible.20210418_140557_HDR.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@marcham That is a good looking wave there.

talbert89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have “no wake mode” which works like cruise control basically are you using the Yamaha wake booster or another style? And what mph are you seeing your best wave at?

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The yamaha cruise assist maintains RPMs, not boat speed. We spent about 3 hrs trying to use cruise assist or just manual throttle and couldn't maintain a speed accurately enough to maintain the required wave shape that would enable ropeless surfing.

We find 9.8 Mph (gps speed) ideal.... not 9.5, not 10.5. The boat's speedometer is off by 1 or 2mph at these speeds. The Ridesteady is constantly making rpm adjustments to maintain the boat speed. In no wind conditions, the variance is 0 mph. In turns, speed changes by maybe 0.2mph and it corrects very quickly.

A very small difference in speed means the difference between the rider being left behind or not having enough wave height.

Last edited:

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What does the ride steady setup cost?
If you're serious about watersports.......less than it's worth. :D :D

It's pricey at around $1,200-$1,500 depending on options and such. I've not heard a single bad thing about the system. The customer support is top notch, and the product is extremely well reviewed.

@Ridesteady monitors the board here as well.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is my husband surfing on a 19 ft. They were testing out the Custom Transom Bag that he developed with Fatsac. It was just that bag and 3 adults in the boat. One of the adults was in the bow. If you slightly turn in the circle it really cleans up the wave for the surfer.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is the link to the bag

talbert89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
are you using ride steady or any kind of wake shaper? Or are you just using the bag? That was a pretty nice wave for such a small boat!

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@talbert89 No speed control on the boat in our video. No shaper either. Just the 19ft ballast bag and people ballast. Wave cleans up when you slightly turn since your jet wash is centered.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As I was on the boat mentioned above. I will add that maintaining the speed is not impossible, however RideSteady will save a lot of frustration towards the driver. If you are the primary driver you should be fine, however if you ask someone else to drive the boat set your expectations low. As keeping the speed is very finicky and takes a lot of attention (and is a must to get this wave).