• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surfing

Lakedogs

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We just got back from a few days of surfing with the 212x and we all had a blast. I wanted to give a quick shout out to Gantlin Products, @jcyamaharider, for making the Wake Wedge and custom Fatsac that turns these boats into surfing machines. Also, thanks to @Ridesteady for making the speed control that is a must for surfing. All of us can go ropeless for as long as we want.

Below is a picture of us configured for surfing. All internal ballast is full and we add about 300 lbs on top of the surf side back seat. We get some great looks when we pull up to the gas dock if we haven't drained our bags!

20210728_162310.jpg

sweet lets see the wave

Very nice. Looks like a giant hand is pulling the boat down.

How long before you were able to go ropeless?

We started wake surfing when we got this boat 4 years ago. It took some time to learn how to get the best wave for us. I would say we each took our time getting comfortable with the rope and learning to get slack in the rope by finding the pocket. Once we could surf several minutes with slack in the rope, we would drop it and see how long we could go. I think it was on our 3rd or 4th outing that everyone could go ropeless. The boys are more aggressive and will hold the rope now to practice some hard carving, just so we aren't circling back to pick them up after 30 secs. They will then drop the rope and show off. My wife set a personal best of 12 mins without the rope this week. I only know because the Ridesteady keeps track of the time us! All good stuff, we are having a ton of fun.

We went a year without the Ridesteady. The difference in having it for surfing (or any watersport) is amazing. I would say it is not only more convenient, but safer for everyone. The driver can pay much more attention to the surroundings and not focus on speed. And it is so nice to just role the dial 0.1 MPH up or down based on feedback from the surfer on how they want the wave to change.

What board are you using?

We started with the Hyperlight Landlock. It is a good beginner board and everyone could get up on it quickly, but we quickly looked for something else. Next we got a Byerly Buzz hybrid board. It works well on the Yamaha wave and we all learned to move up and down and start turning on the wave. However, it is a relatively slow board. We then got a Phase 5 Phantom and that is one fast board. The Landlock stays in the garage and the other 2 are on the boat. Which one get surfed depends on your energy level. Low energy = Buzz, High energy = Phantom

Back