• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Swim ladder binding

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok, my swim ladder is binding when we try to pull it in or push it back in place. Something on the Starboard side about 1" in is catching. I thought it was the inner nylon washer, but I was able to cut it out while on the water and removing the washer made no difference.

Any ideas, on what I can check tomorrow?

Thank you!

Mine did the same thing last year. I think it's the design that if someone of size uses it, it causes the mounts to bend in a tad and that causes it to bind up. You could take the mount off and straighten it out. Mine kinda fixed itself. It's a little tight but better ten last year.

It should be a Windline branded ladder. Mine broke / was binding badly last year. I called/ emailed Windline, sent it in on my dime and they replaced it under the lifetime warranty that comes with their products. Shipping to me was on their dime. They didn't ask me if I was the original owner.

I agree with @Ronnie. If it's a windline, send it in.

Mine did the same thing last year. I think it's the design that if someone of size uses it, it causes the mounts to bend in a tad and that causes it to bind up. You could take the mount off and straighten it out. Mine kinda fixed itself. It's a little tight but better ten last year.

Mine did the same thing. I was able to pull up on it while fully extended to straighten the mounts back up a bit.

It is a wind line, and someone of size did use it, and it's happened in the past, but fixed itself. This time it's hosed, so I may have to send it in (after this season), if I can't figure out how to fix it first.

Thank you all!

Once you get it replaced...when you use the ladder from now on, instruct those that do, to lean into the boat, instead of pulling out when climbing the ladder...all the weight pushing the ladder under the boat bends it pretty easy. At least it has a lifetime warranty. You can make it last much longer between repairs if you don't bend it by pushing it under the boat when climbing it. I bent my first one too...but since then, no issues at all, all due to just positioning ourselves a little better when climbing in or getting out.

Careful on the repair work. You don't know how windline will react to it. FYI, the turn around time for me was less than 2 weeks from the time I sent it in to the time the new one was delivered.

@cane.mba Try machining the bolt neck a bit so that it slides freely again. I assume thats what you are saying is binding in the horizontal slot on the ladder mount. The sliding mount on mine got pinched a little when I backed into an incline with the ladder down, boat on the trailer. I simply machined the neck of the bolt a little and with the smaller diameter it still slides just fine. Also the ladder itself wouldnt fully collapse anymore so I mounted the ladder backwards and used it a couple times to put some opposite pressure on it, now it collapses better than new!

Replace it with a retractable. A little time to put in and the cost is less than $250.

image.jpg

@mgabsa love that! Where did you find it?

I have tried that ladder on smaller boats. The only thing I didn't like about it was it isn't a ladder. It is a single deep step, that isn't as deep as the last step on the stock ladder, and the reach from the step to the swim deck is, well...a big reach. For folks in good shape, good muscular legs and ab muscles, this is a great product, but for anyone bottom heavy, or less arm strength, I found it to be much harder. The single biggest help I could give on how to use a swim deck ladder would be, get as close to the boat as possible, do not extend arms and push with feet when climbing the ladder...all of these increase the arm of control, push the ladder under the boat, and result in damage as well as making it harder to climb the ladder. If you simply swim up to the swim deck, reach as high as you can to whichever handle you can reach, then place a foot on the bottom step, pull yourself up to the second handle above if you didn't reach it before, then step up as you attempt to stay over the ladder and swim deck, not out behind the boat. That puts MUCH less pressure on the ladder and puts your center of gravity over the ladder, and not having to fight as much weight as you may have to get onto the boat. @mgabsa , thanks for posting that ladder, it is a great, in/out and don't have to remember it ladder! The older/less athletic crowd may not benefit as much, but all the watersports folks would love it! That is if momma can still get in the boat with it!

X2 @txav8r , I had that type of ladder on my jet ski's and my wife struggled because the bottom rung does not sit low enough in the water.

@cane.mba it is an Aqua Performance ladder. They do make one that is one extra step and extends deeper in the water. Nice thing about the LS is I still have the full ladder in the bow.

I like the fact that I don't have to make sure the ladder is up. Also, the instructed way to use the ladder is to pull down the handle, put a knee on the step and use the grab handle to pull up and get your foot on the ladder.

By no means am I saying this is easier to get in the boat. I can tell you there are no caps that can come off leaving a sharp edge exposed as did the ladder on my '07 SX230.

I'm also having trouble with the swim ladder and will be sending it back this week. For those of you who have removed your swim ladder how was it attached? Bolts with nuts or just screws? I'm trying to figure out if I need to remove the clean out tray.

Back