• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Swim Platform Wet Storage Not Draining

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
OK, so I went through the Scarab forum front to back, but I didn't see anyone else reporting this issue...

On my first 215, the swim platform wet storage areas were full of water when I picked up the boat. I had the tech blow out the drain holes with compressed air to find some carpet pieces did blow out. But for some reason, they would just not drain. It's like they were vapor locked. He said he's never seen it before. I wanted to get the boat out on the water and I figured I'd just watch it over the following week, see if anything changes. Unfortunately, no, they just wouldn't drain unless you put force by a hose or air pressure.

Fast forward to me picking up the 215HO. Same problem. The storage will just not self drain. This leads me to believe that there is some manufacturing or design flaw causing a vacuum or trap that's not allowing the water to drain.

Does anyone else have this issue or any suggestions? Unfortunately due to where the storage lockers are, there's no way to peak in to see if they are pinched hoses or what. Well, no way I can think of anyway.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the best way to figure it out is to follow the drain line and disconnect each junction until you find the kink or obstruction causing the slow drain.

215Larry

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The 2014 I looked at had same issue, both storage areas had standing water in them.

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Does it drain when you lift the lid? If it doesn't, it's not a vapor lock issue and is most likely a kink in the tubing or a clog.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nah, doesn't drain when I lift lid. Unfortunately I can't find any method to get to said tubing. May try to push thru weed eater string as suggested above. Wonder if dealer will mess with under warranty, seeing as this seems to be an isolated issue.

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'd definitely try for some sort of warranty coverage on it. You paid good money for your boat, and at the very least it should function as intended. I'm a tinkerer though so I would mess with it probably.

215Larry

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Common problem, have seen 3 215's at the dealership with same issue

Capt. Disaster

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My '16 is also the same... Anyone solve this mystery ? When they advertised 'wet storage' I didn't really picture an area where I could put fish in until I got home... LOL

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sounds like a kinked hose if compressed air is getting through. Is the drain in the center of locker?

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds like a kinked hose if compressed air is getting through. Is the drain in the center of locker?
There's a drain at each side of the locker, farthest right and farthest left, at the lowest point. It may be a kinked hose, but there's no telling given where it is in the hull. I figured I'd try forcing some weed eater string thru it like was suggested above, just haven't had an opportunity to go buy some or bum some of it off a buddy.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
What about getting some plastic tubing (with some rigidness) that would fit inside your drain tube. You might have to use some soap or some type of lube to get it through.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If its a long run you might need to put a tee in the middle and run a tube up high to act as a vent.

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Slugger55, hmm, nice thinking outside the box. Might be a huge PITA to pull it off given the 180* turn it immediately makes, but I like your thiking, lol.

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Just became the 2nd owner of a 2016 Scarab 215 HO and noted the same swim locker drainage issue. For clarity, each locker drain connects to an outflow opening underneath the swim platform (positively confirmed). The two of these drains are essentially level with each other in terms of height.

After I vaccumed the water out the locker with my shop vac (my boat was already stern down with no drainage, including running a wire through the drainline), I reversed the hose and blew air through the lines. Pouring clean water in the locker again, it would not drain. Scratching my head, I did a "dive" into the engine bay compartment with a 3' extended, lighted mirror. Of what I could see, there is an approx. 5/8" - 3/4" O.D. black rubber hose that connects the locker drain to the under-swim-platform drain/outflow opening. I noted the drain hose was longer than the distance between the two drains and the 'extra' hose appeared routed above (and some possibly below) both drain openings. These bends create a similar effect of a "P-trap" that you have under any sink. In this case, the bends create an "uphill" route for the water to travel freely. I don't know if this was a design feature to prevent free flow of water and/or a longer hose for ease of installation between the two drains.

Once I have the boat outside my shop, I intend to the fill the swim locker with water to determine how high the water will get before it begins to gravity drain (and at what level it will stop). I see no way to remedy the issue (if truly an overlooked design flaw), unless you pull the engines so you can work in the aft engine compartment.

Yes, I already determined you can't unscrew/pop off the drain flanges from the outside to try and pull/cut off the extra hose then reconnect. For now, I plan to use my shop vac when I get home from the lake to clear the drain line. For those of you in slips/storage, I imagine you can use a 12v blower to force air through the locker drain to clear the line (don't wipe down the boat in that area until you do that!).

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just became the 2nd owner of a 2016 Scarab 215 HO and noted the same swim locker drainage issue. For clarity, each locker drain connects to an outflow opening underneath the swim platform (positively confirmed). The two of these drains are essentially level with each other in terms of height.

After I vaccumed the water out the locker with my shop vac (my boat was already stern down with no drainage, including running a wire through the drainline), I reversed the hose and blew air through the lines. Pouring clean water in the locker again, it would not drain. Scratching my head, I did a "dive" into the engine bay compartment with a 3' extended, lighted mirror. Of what I could see, there is an approx. 5/8" - 3/4" O.D. black rubber hose that connects the locker drain to the under-swim-platform drain/outflow opening. I noted the drain hose was longer than the distance between the two drains and the 'extra' hose appeared routed above (and some possibly below) both drain openings. These bends create a similar effect of a "P-trap" that you have under any sink. In this case, the bends create an "uphill" route for the water to travel freely. I don't know if this was a design feature to prevent free flow of water and/or a longer hose for ease of installation between the two drains.

Once I have the boat outside my shop, I intend to the fill the swim locker with water to determine how high the water will get before it begins to gravity drain (and at what level it will stop). I see no way to remedy the issue (if truly an overlooked design flaw), unless you pull the engines so you can work in the aft engine compartment.

Yes, I already determined you can't unscrew/pop off the drain flanges from the outside to try and pull/cut off the extra hose then reconnect. For now, I plan to use my shop vac when I get home from the lake to clear the drain line. For those of you in slips/storage, I imagine you can use a 12v blower to force air through the locker drain to clear the line (don't wipe down the boat in that area until you do that!).
Nice looking boat brother!! Enjoy!!

Old Tailhooker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
No fix ID’d. Have to use a shop vac to empty. Looks like at 2-2.5” water depth, it will start to drain by gravity — at about 2” remaining, it stops. Can’t blow it out either.....just makes a mess!

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I use a Super Soaker to empty it at the end of the day. Seems to drain while moving; I think it works by venturi action by design.