• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Swimmer’s ear

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
anybody have any secret remedies for water in the ear / swimmers ear?

Little too much fun in the water the last few days has one of my ears feeling pretty clogged up.

Usually, I just put in a few drops of swimmers ear alcohol drops in afterwards, but left those at home this trip.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The active ingredient in most swimmers' ear drops is 95% isopropyl alcohol. It absorbs water and evaporates rapidly.

My mom told me never to put anything other than my elbow in my ear.

Don't mess around. Get the real OTC FDA approved eear drops that worked before and seek help if they do not.

Hearing is an expensive thing to lose.

Last edited:

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had it 5 days ago. Hurt for 3 days. Seems to always go away on its own after putting rubbing alcohol in the ear. If I remember to put some in each ear for a few seconds while in the shower after swimming I never get the pain days later. It’s when I forget the rubbing alcohol is when the pain comes days later. I would put some in that ear and then wait it out a few days and see if it gets better.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Per my Mid-Wife aunt: white vinegar & rubbing alcohol (equal halfs).
Put about 1 tsp in each ear and allow to drain.

For our boy we have a bottle of rubbing alcohol on the boat and use the cap on the bottle as the "measuring cup". Pour it in, let it drain out.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get down on all 4s and violently shake my head with an ear towards the ground. Gets the water out every time. Never got swimmers ear.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, giving up. Really hasn’t been hurting until this afternoon. But today, feels swollen enough that it feels weird to chew. At our local urgent care now to get looked at.

Got the water in ear on Friday and more on Saturday. Didn’t get to do any drops until Sunday night. Afraid I waited too long to get the drops in this time. It’s been a few years since I had to go to the dr for this.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm actually surprised more people did not suggest the sweet oil. Trust me it works. Even better if you get it just a tad warm.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I get down on all 4s and violently shake my head with an ear towards the ground. Gets the water out every time. Never got swimmers ear.
LOL - this reminded me of what my dad taught all us kids growing up, head sideways down toward the ground, opposite side leg in the air, then shake/kick your leg like a crazy man. Funny thing is it seemed to work from what I remember. :D

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Things I try..
Shake
Smack head