• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Switching oil brands and Blackstone Data

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys switching brands from 10w40 Amazon semi synthetic because amazon is always out and seems it may be discontinued. JUST FOR GRINS I sent a couple of virgin samples Yamaha 10w40W conventional and Suzuki V7000 Simi synthetic and my 75hr used oil from my port engine. They reported the oil look good for a 75hr use but had FUEL in it that lowered the viscosity a bit, but since my wear metals were well below the averages for a 50hr oil change they were not overly concerned.

I decided to go with the V7000 Suzuki 10w40 4 stroke oil it has a strong additive package it can be purchased local at around 28 dollars a gal and it keeps all three of my engines on the same oil. I use the V7000 in my Suzuki outboard on my fishing boat.

I had a nice conversation with blackstone Lab and discussed my vary cool running 1.8L engine and the excessive idle time around 50% of my run time so they suggested up my oil maintenance, just to be safe........I'll add 1 more oil change per year. Hope you like the data. They also said run a few oil changes through the engines before doing a used sample test....... the Amazon will contaminate the first V7000 change. They like you to stick to one oil and the same run time to look at TRENDS over the long haul. They also said stick with the SAE viscosity and API rating SN,SL,SM provided in the Yamaha manual and no matter what color the bottle it came in...... it will do its job in protecting the motor. Its more important how often you change than what oil is used as long as it has the proper SAE and API ratings vary similar to what my dad told me Motor oil is Motor oil. I forgot to write virgin on the V7000 sample so they thought it might be a low use oil it wasn't.

Attachments