• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX230 HO Oil Pump Opinions

vnalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just wanted to see what the experts have to say about the reason I am getting no oil pressure...The below picture is the oil pump. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Vinec

Attachments

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you checked it with a manual gauge, or at least replaced the sensor, to (help) verify it actually has no oil pressure? I don't think a lack of oil pressure is a common issue with these engines, but anything manmade can fail... also, it's hard to diagnose much from the pic... Have you pulled the inner and outer rotors yet? The inner rotor is driven with the shaft in the middle, maybe there's an issue with the shaft...? Try to get a better pic, that is focused on the pump itself if you can.

vnalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tested the sensor and it was good. The picture is the oil pump with the outermost cover off.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The main issue with the pic is that it's focused on the motor mount to the left, and the rotors are blurry

vnalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

vnalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Might also be worth noting that the engine is brand new SBT that replaced the SBT that was on the boat that was in warranty. Previous owner must have sucked quite a bit of junk into the engine because it was full of chocolate milk as was the oil pump.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you had chocolate milk for oil it wasn't because something was sucked up, it was because you have an internal cooling line issue allowing cooling water to make it's way into your cylinders/oil

it could be corroded at the manifold or the exhaust cooling jacket ???

I don't know about your oil pump pressure,

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll be honest, those rotors do not look good to me at all. It looks like they actually have rust on them in the pic, but it's hard to tell. They should be shiny, and perfectly smooth. It also looks like they have grooves worn in the sides... They operate on just a few thousandth's of tolerance, so I'm guessing that is your problem. I'd be replacing, without a doubt. I'd also be praying the lack of sufficient oil pressure didn't do damage to the rest of the engine. Hopefully the aluminum casing is still ok... And maybe you can only get it as a complete assembly, I don't know...

vnalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks dgfreeze...Any tips for taking them off? The steps in the service manual show a pin, which holds them to the shaft but haven't been able to see a way to tackle it yet.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve never had to mess with the oil pump on these engines, but if it’s a cross pin through the shaft, then you probably have to remove the oil pump assembly, and push the shaft out from the back. I haven’t even looked at a parts breakdown, so I’m just shooting from the hip here... I take it you can’t just pull the rotors out of there?

vnalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if you had chocolate milk for oil it wasn't because something was sucked up, it was because you have an internal cooling line issue allowing cooling water to make it's way into your cylinders/oil

it could be corroded at the manifold or the exhaust cooling jacket ???

I don't know about your oil pump pressure,

I’ve never had to mess with the oil pump on these engines, but if it’s a cross pin through the shaft, then you probably have to remove the oil pump assembly, and push the shaft out from the back. I haven’t even looked at a parts breakdown, so I’m just shooting from the hip here... I take it you can’t just pull the rotors out of there?
I will post a more detailed update later but here is what came from the pump. It looks like oil never was flowing to the new engine I just put on which is why it shut down after about 2 min because of no oil pressure.
DD8478F6-1E57-40A7-B0A3-B289B35AEC48.jpegDD8478F6-1E57-40A7-B0A3-B289B35AEC48.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Holy crap... did this oil pump come with the new SBT engine, or was it transplanted from your old engine?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, at least they didn't send the engine to you with an oil pump like that. Hopefully it didn't do any damage to your new engine, and you can be back out on the water with a new pump.