• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sx230 start issue

Mshook1221

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 05 sx230 and the one motor will not run unless you hold the key in start position how to trouble shoot or bypass to run

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swap key switches to see if it’s the switch or not

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 05 sx230 and the one motor will not run unless you hold the key in start position how to trouble shoot or bypass to run
I had this exact issue on my 06 sx230. I found water in a connector in the aft, starboard access panel located in the storage compartment. It's the round, white panel with about 6 screws in it. Remove it to access the wire bundle. The connector you want will be labeled port or starboard depending on which engine you're having trouble with. I just took each connector apart, one at a time, inspected them, dried them if wet and put them back together.

Mshook1221

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had this exact issue on my 06 sx230. I found water in a connector in the aft, starboard access panel located in the storage compartment. It's the round, white panel with about 6 screws in it. Remove it to access the wire bundle. The connector you want will be labeled port or starboard depending on which engine you're having trouble with. I just took each connector apart, one at a time, inspected them, dried them if wet and put them back together.
I will try that thank you

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you explain how you are holding the key in the start position to keep the boat running? I figured the starter would keep spinning.

Not sure how much the 2006 changed into 2007, but this is the wiring diagram, might match yours. Best of Luck! You might be able to follow that "ON" position wiring and confirm the signal is traveling all the way.

Attachments

Mshook1221

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Still haven’t found the issue has anyone looked in the ECU it seems to me that is where the oil pressure relay is and I know now that the issue foll

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
According to the diagram oil pressure switch is ON/OFF and its response can be checked with a YDS tester.

These engines have very low oil pressure at low RPM, and it is common for the oil pressure switch to toggle during idle operation. This oil pressure switch ought to not affect start.

Did you confirm the circuit of the ignition kill is open per the diagram? Did you actually get the engine running earlier, or just cranking? Most of the time no start issue on MR1, suspect #1 is the landyard switch, and disconnecting the whole switch from the boat is a good diagnostics first step.

Best of Luck!

Mshook1221

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I disconnected the lanyard at the driver seat boat starts but when the key is in the run position motor shits off. I also switched harness at the back of the boat and the trouble follows it must be something in the elm ?

Mshook1221

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found the issue I had it was my ECU I can’t find one anywhere. Does anyone have any idea where I can get one new or used ? Appreciate all your help thru this crAzyiness

Mshook1221

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone had a water / condensation issue in the electrical box in the engine compartment. Mine was holding quite a bit of moisture so that it got the ecu wet. I was thinking of drilling 2 weep holes in th bottom of the boxes to allow water to weep out and keeping from the ecu getting wet again. Suggestions or similar ideas ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone had a water / condensation issue in the electrical box in the engine compartment. Mine was holding quite a bit of moisture so that it got the ecu wet. I was thinking of drilling 2 weep holes in th bottom of the boxes to allow water to weep out and keeping from the ecu getting wet again. Suggestions or similar ideas ?
We've had a few members report that problem, some have put a layer of silicone or tape over the top of the box to try to help seal it,

Mshook1221

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It’s funny I believe it’s condensation from heat in the box no water gets in the engine compartment that I can see and the water is clear and clean. I was thinking place two small holes in the bottom of the box to let what ever water gets in it out. I am not in salt water area either

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
even with moisture in the box, the ecu is a epoxy sealed unit. i had the ecu go bad on my old fx ski with the mr1. the moisture shouldnt effect it. the ecu's can just go after awhile. mine was changing the injection timing on one cylinder. i thought i had a sticky injector but the ecu was just holding it open flooding #1.

Mshook1221

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My issue was the motor would not stay running and the fuel gauge went to empty I dried it out and now it works . Plus if I changed the ecu”s it was fine so I am unsure no ecu”s available in usa

Mshook1221

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone know where I can get an ecu for a 2005 sx230 ho ?