• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

sx240 engine corrosion

Paul Lagasse

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am looking at a 2010 sx240. Everything looks in really good condition except for the engines have some corrosion. See starched picture Should this concern me?
Also Is kbb boat a good indicator of price point as well?

Thank you

Attachments

• 6D353026-37EC-4067-902B-861815AF9BEB.jpeg
    6D353026-37EC-4067-902B-861815AF9BEB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 119
Your location ? Near salt water ? It could have had water in the engine compartment but not enough to cause hydro lock if you need to work on the motor the bolts may be seized . Under kbb low retail is usually a good price if hours are under 120 . The 2010 had problems shearing the oil cooler bolts look for oil residue .

The clamps look pretty good in the picture, and usually those are the first to show rust.

How are the lower clamps, and other hardware?

If everything else looks good, I would not sweat it. A spray of 656 and a stiff brush might clean it all up, and future care would prevent it from happening again.

I have a 2010 AR240 that has been used almost exclusively in salt water and the engines look about the same. I wouldn't worry about it but I second @Cambo with checking those oil cooler bolts before sealing the deal.

Agree with above I don’t see anything in that pic that scares me. If you really want to get down and dirty remove the cover from the clean out hatch and check the hose fittings back there as they are usually forgotten about so if they don’t look terrible you should be fine.

Awesome thank you all!
The hose fittings under the clean out hatch. Where are they exactly? I couldn’t find them on parts diagram

Awesome thank you all!
The hose fittings under the clean out hatch. Where are they exactly? I couldn’t find them on parts diagram

You will see several under there. From the tubes holding the clean out plugs to the exhaust cans and several other things have them under there.

Also is it advisable to do a conpression check before buying? Or would a water test be suitable

Also is it advisable to do a conpression check before buying? Or would a water test be suitable
I would do both if possible. I bought my first boat sight unseen and was lucky not to have anything wrong with it expect some clogged pee holes. Second boat did a thorough water test and inspection.

Back