• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Taking on water while at idle at the floor drain.. ideas?

Crwtek15

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hey all! I’m new here to the forum but I was hoping one of you could help me figure out how I’m taking on water at idle through my floor drain. Though it is not a lot of water, it’s a common place for people to put bags and other items, and we typically see a decent amount of water pooling there until get on plane. Is there any fix for this?

Thanks all!
Yamaha ls2000

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Let me confirm my assumptions. The drain that gets water out of the main cabin area, not the bilge?

So what is happening, is you have enough load on, that the outlet outside the boat is below the surface. I am going to look up the parts list, but isn't there a scupper valve on that outlet? (Scupper is a one way valve keeping water out of the boat)

If that is the case, you may need to replace your scupper. Our old SeaDoo X20 didn't have a valve on that drain. But it didn't displace as much water, and the cabin deck was quite a ways above the water surface. The LS2000's do sit quite a bit lower. I will check the parts list and report back.

Good luck,

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, the '99 LS2000 has a scupper valve on the deck drain line. It's about a $23 part and can be ordered online, or your local dealer. (Part 13) Some of the newer boats required a special tool to get it off. I'm not sure on this vintage. Many have gone with a stainless part as well as the stocker was plastic.

Again, this conversation may not apply to you. Keep in mind, that if you got 20 years out of the stock part, I think you would be fine to replace it with the same.

Good luck!

2019-05-23 08_50_44-1999 Yamaha LS2000 (LST1200X) Deck Drain Fittings _ Babbitts Yamaha Partsh...png

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board,

Have you changed your oil lines or running pre-mix?

I'm confused by your problem, a picture would help us understand better,

If water is coming into the cabin via the scupper drain, that seems like a big problem as that would be a lot of distance for the water to travel up hill, could the water be coming from your rinse connections and just pooling on the floor?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That was my thought, that boat would have to be heavily loaded to sit that low in the water. Or it's stored in a slanted driveway, and rainwater is gathering in the bow, but ends up in the rear floor once put in the water and levels out.

Crwtek15

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I think the scupper valve could definitely be the issue here, after researching it I think it must be partially failing. As I mentioned it’s not a ton of water getting into the boat but it’s enough to create concern, I will try to get replace this first and see if that creates the issue. I’m sure it’s never been replaced as the last owner wasn’t the most proactive.

As far as oil lines are concerned I change them all out yearly to avoid losing one. I was one premix for a long time but it was too smoky at idle speeds, and I was fouling plugs sooner than I should have been.

Thanks for your help all!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
usually if the scupper fails it cracks at the seal or the hose attach point and leaks into the bilge,
if the flap on the scupper failed you'd have to go in reverse at a good speed to force water up the hose into the cabin, even at forward idle no water should be pushed up hill into the cabin,

Crwtek15

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Interesting... could it be from high waves forcing water into the drain then coming forward when people are in the front of the boat? I don’t recall ever seeing a scupper valve on the floor, I think it must be inline as another member suggested.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
a picture would be helpful so we can confirm we're not using the same words but thinking different meanings,

I don’t recall ever seeing a scupper valve on the floor
the scupper valve (the part with the flap) is located on the back of the boat at the exit

I think it must be inline as another member suggested.
I reread the previous posts and don't see where it was suggested the scupper was "inline", there should be an opening in the cabin with a hose attached and it runs to the rear of the boat where the "scupper valve' is.

Interesting... could it be from high waves forcing water into the drain then coming forward when people are in the front of the boat?
If the scupper flap is missing or stuck open, it's possible but not probable that water could come in but remember it would have to go up hill so it would have to be a strong wave, as soon as you're underway momentum is going to keep water going out of the boat

Or it's stored in a slanted driveway, and rainwater is gathering in the bow, but ends up in the rear floor once put in the water and levels out.
I think Biff has a good idea here, if your boat is stored outside,

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think Scott is right on this. It is so unlikely that it's coming through that drain. And it's more likely to go in the bilge.

When our boat comes home, we have a slanted driveway. The bow gathers a bit of water. When we hitch up and tow out of the driveway, of course the boat levels, if not slopes to the rear. At that point, that water has to go to the rear and out.

If your tow vehicle is not setup to get the tongue high enough, and still slopes to the front, you may not see that water in the rear till the boat is on the water. It's just a guess, but there are plenty of folks that do not tow their boat level either due to too low of a tongue, or just too much tongue weight.

Pics please.

Crwtek15

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thanks for your suggestions everybody! Although I certainly tow it level and store it at an upwards angle, it could be quite possible the cover is responsible for leaking water into the bow and causing it to pool there. What is odd is that the water comes and goes through a day in the water, it’s not just there momentarily. One would think that if the water was residual, it would be gone after I got on plane, but I will take a picture of it next time I can get it in the water- we’ve been plagued here with rain and the lakes are closing due to high levels.

Thanks again everybody! You guys rock

quitefrankle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hi @Crwtek15, I'm experiencing the same problem you are and have a 2001 Yamaha LS2000. Did a new scupper resolve your issue?

Also what did you do to reduce the smoke in idle speeds?

Regards,
Frank