• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Talk to me about truck batteries

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had to jump start my '15 Sierra this morning. Had a jump pack charged and ready to go. No big deal, charging the pack back up to make sure I can get to the battery store on the way home tonight. Best I can tell this is the stock battery from 2015. Truck has 112k miles or so on it now. I think I got my moneys worth. I knew it was coming, been slow starts for a few weeks. I think the 15deg cold, and sitting since Friday evening did it in. Never bought a battery for a vehicle with so many electronics, and so many electrical loads before. Honestly, I've only ever had 3 vehicles long enough to replace a battery, and all the project cars I've had were very low load so I never really worried about it.

Truck is my daily driver and weekend tow vehicle. I put ~60-70mi/day on it during the week, mostly highway. Then towing to/from local lakes on the weekends. It gets the occasional use around the house as a work bench in the back yard, or hauling mulch/lumber/etc. When used as a work bench, front doors are open with radio on for a few hours at a time. Will often sit idling for 20-30min on each end of a day of towing when launching/retrieving the boat and I'm letting the A/C run for the wife/kids while I pack the boat. Of course during that time there are 3-4 devices plugged in and charging, as well as the blower for the A/C, and the stereo.

I put a Duracell Platinum AGM in my '05 Audi A4. Had an Optima YellowTop in my '00 Chevy S10. I'm leaning towards another Duracell Platinum AGM for this truck. Looks like ~$250 for one from the local Batteries Plus. Any reason I should go with anything else?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was a district manager for 3 years with Batteries Plus years ago, and was in charge of all the SLI (automotive) battery purchasing. If purchasing an AGM from them, I would go with the X2 if they stock it in the group size you need, if not they could order you one in. The X2 has a 5 year free replacement warranty, is made by Northstar, and is known for being problem free.

If you order online to pick up in store, you get 10% off and free installation.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Had to jump start my '15 Sierra this morning. Had a jump pack charged and ready to go. No big deal, charging the pack back up to make sure I can get to the battery store on the way home tonight. Best I can tell this is the stock battery from 2015. Truck has 112k miles or so on it now. I think I got my moneys worth. I knew it was coming, been slow starts for a few weeks. I think the 15deg cold, and sitting since Friday evening did it in. Never bought a battery for a vehicle with so many electronics, and so many electrical loads before. Honestly, I've only ever had 3 vehicles long enough to replace a battery, and all the project cars I've had were very low load so I never really worried about it.

Truck is my daily driver and weekend tow vehicle. I put ~60-70mi/day on it during the week, mostly highway. Then towing to/from local lakes on the weekends. It gets the occasional use around the house as a work bench in the back yard, or hauling mulch/lumber/etc. When used as a work bench, front doors are open with radio on for a few hours at a time. Will often sit idling for 20-30min on each end of a day of towing when launching/retrieving the boat and I'm letting the A/C run for the wife/kids while I pack the boat. Of course during that time there are 3-4 devices plugged in and charging, as well as the blower for the A/C, and the stereo.

I put a Duracell Platinum AGM in my '05 Audi A4. Had an Optima YellowTop in my '00 Chevy S10. I'm leaning towards another Duracell Platinum AGM for this truck. Looks like ~$250 for one from the local Batteries Plus. Any reason I should go with anything else?
I have a 15 Yukon and in 17 I hit a deer squarely with the front bumper, grill, and hood at about 30 mph. Needless to say, it jarred the truck pretty hard. While the truck was in the body shop the battery went bad and it was replaced by the biggest AGM battery that would fit and that NAPA had. I have not had a problem since. I drive around 40k a year and have never had a second thought about the truck not starting.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How much longer will you keep it? Costco has good old lead acid for a good chunk of change less. Same for Wal-mart. 3-5 years seems to be standard fair for battery longevity. Just thinking out loud of the benefit of more power/quality in this space where the cheaper options probably will preform the same for your application. Just a thought.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How much longer will you keep it? Costco has good old lead acid for a good chunk of change less. Same for Wal-mart. 3-5 years seems to be standard fair for battery longevity. Just thinking out loud of the benefit of more power/quality in this space where the cheaper options probably will preform the same for your application. Just a thought.
Goal is to give this truck to the now 9yr old as his first vehicle to drive. Have about 7yrs left for me to drive it, then however long he can manage to learn to drive and NOT crash it :D

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was a district manager for 3 years with Batteries Plus years ago, and was in charge of all the SLI (automotive) battery purchasing. If purchasing an AGM from them, I would go with the X2 if they stock it in the group size you need, if not they could order you one in. The X2 has a 5 year free replacement warranty, is made by Northstar, and is known for being problem free.

If you order online to pick up in store, you get 10% off and free installation.
Any reason for the X2 over the Duracell? Just proven track record?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes, just track record. I've seen quite a few quality control issues from East Penn over the years.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, just track record. I've seen quite a few quality control issues from East Penn over the years.
Thanks. Most likely go that route then......after payday, because OOOF $300 battery is rough :D

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks. Most likely go that route then......after payday, because OOOF $300 battery is rough :D
Could be worse. My Ram 2500 needed 2 of them. 😒

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been using Duracell batteries from Sam's club in my vehicles for a few years. Have them in my boat too. They're under 100 bucks, have a good warranty, and they last a very long time. I have a pos car that I have a bad habit of letting the battery fully drain on. They handle that abuse and still work.

You can spend more, but I don't think you're really going to get more. And I can replace mine 4 times over for what those expensive batteries cost. FWIW, the one that I've fully drained is like 6 years old at this point and still works great.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been using Duracell batteries from Sam's club in my vehicles for a few years. Have them in my boat too. They're under 100 bucks, have a good warranty, and they last a very long time. I have a pos car that I have a bad habit of letting the battery fully drain on. They handle that abuse and still work.

You can spend more, but I don't think you're really going to get more. And I can replace mine 4 times over for what those expensive batteries cost. FWIW, the one that I've fully drained is like 6 years old at this point and still works great.
Interestingly enough. I went with the Duracell Platinum AGM from Sams. Wife had a 20% off coupon (from some promotion), and the Duracell Platinum was listed at $170 for the 94R I needed. Walked in, picked it up, and was out the door for $156. Figured the $300 XS that @F.M. recommended is most likely a better battery, but at twice the cost it was hard to justify.

I did verify that the one I took out was the original ACDelco that was sold with the truck in late 2014. Figure it lasted a shade of 6yrs, I should be able to get similar life from a better quality AGM unit......Fingers crossed!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That was a great run for a battery! Hopefully it continues!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interestingly enough. I went with the Duracell Platinum AGM from Sams. Wife had a 20% off coupon (from some promotion), and the Duracell Platinum was listed at $170 for the 94R I needed. Walked in, picked it up, and was out the door for $156. Figured the $300 XS that @F.M. recommended is most likely a better battery, but at twice the cost it was hard to justify.

I did verify that the one I took out was the original ACDelco that was sold with the truck in late 2014. Figure it lasted a shade of 6yrs, I should be able to get similar life from a better quality AGM unit......Fingers crossed!
Thays a pretty sweet coupon. Need to find me one of those, haha.