• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Blazer SS is back!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I know @BlkGS is stoked about this lol

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mean.....Maybe.....I love the concept.....I'm pretty set on moving back to a pickup here soon though.

I really liked my TBSS. It was a great platform in general. HOWEVER, now that I've had a similar vehicle built to modern spec sheets, the TBSS has lost a little luster for me. The Q7 is just as punchy as the SS was, but has a TON more "nice" features. Helps that it's 11 years newer, and from a luxury brand instead of a value brand as well. Honestly it feels like the same upgrade I made from a Typhoon to the TBSS, the same premise existed, but the architecture was so updated it felt like something so much better.

Be really interesting to see how they package the new SS, how it looks, and what kinda of specs it has. Give me a 7k tow rating, and a 150kWh battery and I'm in........Oh yea, sticker under $70k would be nice too. I'm not holding my breathe for that last one though.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Definitely not a tow vehicle, but a new Camaro SS would have been exciting. :winkingthumbsup"

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely not a tow vehicle, but a new Camaro SS would have been exciting. :winkingthumbsup"

Jim
I won't lie, I've considered a new eTron SUV a few times as my tow vehicle.....Only need a 5k rating or so to cover family, gear, and our little 190. :D :D

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll be interested to see what they do. The current Blazer is a looker, but really needs a better power train.

I actually did briefly consider the Mach E, until I found it doesn't really tow. If this tows like a TBSS, I think it'd be a winner in a lot of places. Frankly, if we had a bigger family ICE this would work fine for me. But it would need to be a fire breathing monster (probably not allowed to call battery cars that cuz of the whole fire issue, lol).

My biggest issue with these is they don't do it all yet. A "Blazer" that can't tow 6k plus is just a big Malibu hatchback to me. I have no need for that.

I hope it does well though, and would encourage everyone with a Hellcat Durango to trade it in on one of these...

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I mean.....Maybe.....I love the concept.....I'm pretty set on moving back to a pickup here soon though.

I really liked my TBSS. It was a great platform in general. HOWEVER, now that I've had a similar vehicle built to modern spec sheets, the TBSS has lost a little luster for me. The Q7 is just as punchy as the SS was, but has a TON more "nice" features. Helps that it's 11 years newer, and from a luxury brand instead of a value brand as well. Honestly it feels like the same upgrade I made from a Typhoon to the TBSS, the same premise existed, but the architecture was so updated it felt like something so much better.

Be really interesting to see how they package the new SS, how it looks, and what kinda of specs it has. Give me a 7k tow rating, and a 150kWh battery and I'm in........Oh yea, sticker under $70k would be nice too. I'm not holding my breathe for that last one though.
I still have a very hard time believing the q7 holds a candle to the TBSS, let alone a modded one. And I drove one too, lol. I've seen some of the insane times some mags get, but then disappointing times in either. I think some of the press cars had a bit more of that "not final configuration" going on, lol. But, that means there's more power on tap in a tune, so it's not a bad thing.

I think you should check out an explorer ST. I'd be curious to see your thoughts on it, it felt a lot faster than q7, more nimble, while still somehow more spacious. It felt smaller while driving but bigger inside and outside. Honestly, a great chassis, begging for a Coyote 5.0. The 3.0L isn't bad... And has a lot of extra power to be had.... But a 450hp coyote would have been awesome in that chassis.

Explorer ST is still on my radar as a buy. Sometimes I kick myself for not buying one in 2020 before I bought the tbss. They're 9k more expensive now, lol. Maybe once incentives are back... Though it sounds like 2023 might get a big interior upgrade.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still have a very hard time believing the q7 holds a candle to the TBSS, let alone a modded one. And I drove one too, lol. I've seen some of the insane times some mags get, but then disappointing times in either. I think some of the press cars had a bit more of that "not final configuration" going on, lol. But, that means there's more power on tap in a tune, so it's not a bad thing.

I think you should check out an explorer ST. I'd be curious to see your thoughts on it, it felt a lot faster than q7, more nimble, while still somehow more spacious. It felt smaller while driving but bigger inside and outside. Honestly, a great chassis, begging for a Coyote 5.0. The 3.0L isn't bad... And has a lot of extra power to be had.... But a 450hp coyote would have been awesome in that chassis.

Explorer ST is still on my radar as a buy. Sometimes I kick myself for not buying one in 2020 before I bought the tbss. They're 9k more expensive now, lol. Maybe once incentives are back... Though it sounds like 2023 might get a big interior upgrade.
I purposely asked on the Q7 forums about track times to see how the Q7 stacked against the SS.

Guy took a bone stock '19 he had on loan from the dealership and got a 14.5@95mph.

His personal Q7 with an APR Stage 1 ran a 14.1@99.5mph

My SS ran a 14.0@99.8mph at Bowling Green back in 2016.

My SS weighed just over 4,300lbs the same day in BG. I scaled the Q7 at 5,500lbs last spring after I bought it. If the Q7 was a bit lighter it would be an ever better contender I think. Overall though,

I think you can get an SS into the mid 13's without a ton of work (tune, headers, exhaust, intake), but then you're looking at worrying about that 4L65E, and transfer case for limited life. Hell, there are a good portion of guys that can't get them to live behind stock motors, much less modded ones. I put an external trans cooler on mine (behind front left brake duct), and it helped, but I could still spike trans temps into the 240 range with a hard launch or two.

I will say, the Q7 heat soaks WAY WAY worse than the SS did. I had cooling issues with my SS the whole time I owned it (failed head gasket), and it never heat soaked like the Q7 does. First start and run of the day when the charge air cooler is nice and chilled, I bet it's every bit as fast as the SS. Wondering if you've not gotten a cool day with a Q7 being in Florida. Dunno how much experience with boosted engines you have, but that cool dense air adds significant push.....at least as measured on the butt dyno. Nothing better than a good run for donuts through the country roads on a chilly Sunday morning!

Having owned both, I'm not pulling your leg on the power. I bet if we lined up, the SS would put a car or so on me from launch to 30-40mph, and then it would be close to a dead heat to well into triple digit territory. I had my SS lowered on beltech equipment all around. It was better than stok, but still not great. Combined with the better suspension and paddle shifters (with 4 more gears) in the Q7, on the local backroads there is no way the SS would shake the Q7, the chassis in the Q7 is so much more composed.

Coworker and I "compared" my SS with his '16 Durango R/T on multiple occasions. Same story, that R/T runs in the mid 14's stock, and the SS would put a length or so on him from the light, and then it was a dead heat past 100mph. Same backroads, and I couldn't shake him. They're close enough that until you get into instrumented tests it's really hard to find a performance difference. They're legitimately that close. I think a 6L80E, some good dampers, upgraded brakes, and new suspension bushings on the SS...MIGHT....get you closer, but it's still working on a 20yr old chassis instead of a 5yr old chassis.

The Explorer ST was definitely on my radar. I looked hard at getting just an Explorer Sport from the previous body style when I was shopping for the Q7/Durango last year, as the ST was just being released and there weren't many to be found. They were also outside the $40k budget number I set. The big hold back was the lower tow rating of 5,200lbs. I wanted something that would tow a 24ft Yamaha, and I don't think 5k will get me there. I've had an Explorer as a rental/loaner a few times, and I definitely liked the chassis and the interior. The styling is not super, but not bad. I don't like how many of them I see. They're freaking everywhere. I've always owned cars that are "different" or "rare" when I could. Q7 checks that box, Explorer and Durango not so much. The SS, RX8, yellow S10 (rare paint), red S10 (tons of custom work), and a few others were really distinctive vehicles, and I liked that. I will say the GIANT portrait screen in the ST is a sticking point for me. I'm really not a fan of the "iPad on the dash" styling trend as of late. Love how the screen hides into the dash on the Q7. I spend most of my time in the car with the center stack screen hidden. The brakes and wheels on the ST looks great, and I'm sure they perform well. I love the brakes in the Q7, 375mm (14-3/4in) rotors with factory equipped Brembo 6 piston calipers up front. 325's with 4 pistons in the rear. Audi brakes always impress me, and these are no exception. They'll haul the 5.5k lb SUV down from over 100 to 30 with ease and not fade or warp after multiple stops like that. I would expect the ST brakes to be on par with the Q7's. Guy at work has a 3.0T in his F150. Thing feels like it has torque for days, and I LOVE the upgradability of a forced induction engine. I haven't researched it a ton, but have seen some videos of a Flex with that motor running in the mid 12's with just tuning work. I think there is some good potential in that engine for certain. Not sure how they do with a tune AND towing though. Would have to look into that.

Finally.....I'm really disappointed GM doesn't offer a "muscle SUV" to compete at this segment. Clearly it's a winning segment. Take a Blazer and toss a 6.2L in it and make another SS. Maybe a Terrain with the 3.0T from the Caddys? I think they tried with the Tahoe RST, but good grief those things are so giant you'll never convince me they should be the "sporty alternative". If Chevy or GMC has something to compete here I probably would have landed there. I debated finding another SS, but wanted some newer tech (Adaptive cruise, and heated/cooled seats mostly). Also thought about getting an older ('03-ish) Yukon and modding the snot out of it. Drop, wheels, blower, 6L80E, AWD conversion, etc, while it's cheaper than buying new, arguably more fun, I don't have the schedule to make that happen.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I purposely asked on the Q7 forums about track times to see how the Q7 stacked against the SS.

Guy took a bone stock '19 he had on loan from the dealership and got a 14.5@95mph.

His personal Q7 with an APR Stage 1 ran a 14.1@99.5mph

My SS ran a 14.0@99.8mph at Bowling Green back in 2016.

My SS weighed just over 4,300lbs the same day in BG. I scaled the Q7 at 5,500lbs last spring after I bought it. If the Q7 was a bit lighter it would be an ever better contender I think. Overall though,

I think you can get an SS into the mid 13's without a ton of work (tune, headers, exhaust, intake), but then you're looking at worrying about that 4L65E, and transfer case for limited life. Hell, there are a good portion of guys that can't get them to live behind stock motors, much less modded ones. I put an external trans cooler on mine (behind front left brake duct), and it helped, but I could still spike trans temps into the 240 range with a hard launch or two.

I will say, the Q7 heat soaks WAY WAY worse than the SS did. I had cooling issues with my SS the whole time I owned it (failed head gasket), and it never heat soaked like the Q7 does. First start and run of the day when the charge air cooler is nice and chilled, I bet it's every bit as fast as the SS. Wondering if you've not gotten a cool day with a Q7 being in Florida. Dunno how much experience with boosted engines you have, but that cool dense air adds significant push.....at least as measured on the butt dyno. Nothing better than a good run for donuts through the country roads on a chilly Sunday morning!

Having owned both, I'm not pulling your leg on the power. I bet if we lined up, the SS would put a car or so on me from launch to 30-40mph, and then it would be close to a dead heat to well into triple digit territory. I had my SS lowered on beltech equipment all around. It was better than stok, but still not great. Combined with the better suspension and paddle shifters (with 4 more gears) in the Q7, on the local backroads there is no way the SS would shake the Q7, the chassis in the Q7 is so much more composed.

Coworker and I "compared" my SS with his '16 Durango R/T on multiple occasions. Same story, that R/T runs in the mid 14's stock, and the SS would put a length or so on him from the light, and then it was a dead heat past 100mph. Same backroads, and I couldn't shake him. They're close enough that until you get into instrumented tests it's really hard to find a performance difference. They're legitimately that close. I think a 6L80E, some good dampers, upgraded brakes, and new suspension bushings on the SS...MIGHT....get you closer, but it's still working on a 20yr old chassis instead of a 5yr old chassis.

The Explorer ST was definitely on my radar. I looked hard at getting just an Explorer Sport from the previous body style when I was shopping for the Q7/Durango last year, as the ST was just being released and there weren't many to be found. They were also outside the $40k budget number I set. The big hold back was the lower tow rating of 5,200lbs. I wanted something that would tow a 24ft Yamaha, and I don't think 5k will get me there. I've had an Explorer as a rental/loaner a few times, and I definitely liked the chassis and the interior. The styling is not super, but not bad. I don't like how many of them I see. They're freaking everywhere. I've always owned cars that are "different" or "rare" when I could. Q7 checks that box, Explorer and Durango not so much. The SS, RX8, yellow S10 (rare paint), red S10 (tons of custom work), and a few others were really distinctive vehicles, and I liked that. I will say the GIANT portrait screen in the ST is a sticking point for me. I'm really not a fan of the "iPad on the dash" styling trend as of late. Love how the screen hides into the dash on the Q7. I spend most of my time in the car with the center stack screen hidden. The brakes and wheels on the ST looks great, and I'm sure they perform well. I love the brakes in the Q7, 375mm (14-3/4in) rotors with factory equipped Brembo 6 piston calipers up front. 325's with 4 pistons in the rear. Audi brakes always impress me, and these are no exception. They'll haul the 5.5k lb SUV down from over 100 to 30 with ease and not fade or warp after multiple stops like that. I would expect the ST brakes to be on par with the Q7's. Guy at work has a 3.0T in his F150. Thing feels like it has torque for days, and I LOVE the upgradability of a forced induction engine. I haven't researched it a ton, but have seen some videos of a Flex with that motor running in the mid 12's with just tuning work. I think there is some good potential in that engine for certain. Not sure how they do with a tune AND towing though. Would have to look into that.

Finally.....I'm really disappointed GM doesn't offer a "muscle SUV" to compete at this segment. Clearly it's a winning segment. Take a Blazer and toss a 6.2L in it and make another SS. Maybe a Terrain with the 3.0T from the Caddys? I think they tried with the Tahoe RST, but good grief those things are so giant you'll never convince me they should be the "sporty alternative". If Chevy or GMC has something to compete here I probably would have landed there. I debated finding another SS, but wanted some newer tech (Adaptive cruise, and heated/cooled seats mostly). Also thought about getting an older ('03-ish) Yukon and modding the snot out of it. Drop, wheels, blower, 6L80E, AWD conversion, etc, while it's cheaper than buying new, arguably more fun, I don't have the schedule to make that happen.
I've been saying traverse needs that 3.0t from the XTS. GM is leaving that market to Ford and dodge which I guess is fine, admittedly it's not gigantic, but when you've got the stuff on the shelf it's kinda lame.

That's interesting about your SS and heat. Mine has no cooling issues ever. It runs like a scalded dog in summer, winter, whatever. Never gets slightly warm or anything. Maybe with efans it will be a little worse because that mechanical fan moves a lot of air, but I dunno.

It was pretty cool out when I drove the q7. It felt like my sisters q5 with the same engine. Not slow, but it didn't feel like a badass like the ss.. I will say, the SS feels like a badass around town. Once you get up to highway ish speeds, it doesn't feel nearly as fast, and the q5 and q7 felt the same if not quicker there. But at a stoplight the SS just feels much faster in a stomp and go sort of situation. Maybe in a launch situation with brake boosting and whatever the FI vehicles pick up more speed, but stomping it at a light it just felt like it wasn't near hanging with the TBSS.

I still debate the explorer st. I really liked it, and I think I'd be very happy in one with the 8" screen. I'm reading 23 is supposedly going to change up the interior and replace the poorly done 10" screen. They're priced pretty well too, built mine out at 58k msrp, plus Ford takes a grand off for a custom order and they've got the most tiniest of incentives, it'd be cheaper than a tow and go durango R/T actually (which admittedly tows more and has way better brakes and a bit more room and an interior that's a bit nicer other than no pano roof).

I wish the price jump from rt to srt wasn't so huge on Durango. It's tough to swallow that much more money for the 392 when it's basically the standard v8 in charger now.

FWIW, with the belltech kit on my SS, a prothane rear sway bar, poly bushings all around, and stronger endlinks and my SS handles great. It lacks the outright grip of something onn285s or whatnot like an srt, but it's much stiffer and more direct now. I'm still on the rear bags too, if I could reuse the load leveling rear with steel springs that'd be ideal. People say you can't use the oem compressor with helper bags, I don't see why you couldn't.

It's funny, there's a Q7 around every corner here. I always took it as a sign they were good cars. I see a lot of explorers as well, more the last gen sports, but a decent bit of ST,. Also, a lot of the cops here have them for patrol cars. I see Durango RTs from time to time, never see srt dura go's.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BlkGS

The SS definitely hits harder from the line. I want to say that 14.0 I ran had something like a 2.0 or 2.1 60ft. The Q7 is a high 2.2-2.3 60ft car. Just doesn't hit as hard off the line as the SS. Nothing beats the 1.8's I could pull in the Typhoon on street tires. Would literally hurt your teeth it left so hard. The Q7 hits harder from 30-90 than the SS did though. It just ALWAYS seems to be in the right gear. The ZF8HP trans is tuned well, and shifts are firm and crisp. The "brap" on shifts is neat from the Q7. The trans tuning from GM is garbage in that area. I had HPTuners for my SS, and droping torque management down to 25% and decreasing shift timing by 75% REALLY made a big improvement to the driveability. I also changed around the torque convertor lockup schedules which helped some. Even with all the the ZF trans in the Audi just feels better in general.

I found the beltech stuff to have over harsh high speed damping and overly soft low speed. Talking shock shaft speed, not vehicle speed. Things like whoops would wallow around, and square edge bumps like expansion joints were way to stiff. I had factory roll bars on mine, and they could probably have used new bushings. I had lowering links for the rear on the stock bags, might have been part of it.

Don't get my wrong, I think the SS is a great package, and was well ahead of it's time. I would still have mine if I hadn't found the busted head gasket about 2mo before my youngest boy was due to be delivered, AND I was starting a new job. I just didn't have the time to deal with the madness of swapping heads and gaskets on that thing. I can definitely say the sound from the SS was FAR nicer than the Audi. I've grown to like the rasp/note of the little V6, but it's NOT the same as the sound from the 6.0L.

I think the R/T Tow and Go is a great package. Lots of value there. The jump to an SRT isn't worth it IMO. Not enough additional performance for the cash.

They only made like 30k Q7's with the '17 thru '20 body style. Or rather only that many made it to the states. Durango's and Explorers are everywhere here. The Explorers more than anything. We have TWO Ford factories (Super Duties, and Escapes) here in town, so there are a LOT of A-Plan buying families around, and I'm sure that makes them more obvious. IN law enforcement likes the Durangos, LMPD has the Explorers. Also leads to the propensity of those locally.

Guy that parks next to me at the office has a BMW M40 something or the other. Sharp looking crossover/SUV looking thing that sounds wicked when he starts it. I'll grab a picture next week. Might be another avenue to investigate for you.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2kwik4u

Yeah, we don't have any Ford plants down here in FL, but we do have a ton of retirees and just rich people in general. We got a lot of "not super rish but also definitely not average" around here that I think is the bread and butter for audi, bmw, mercedes. People who aren't Bentley rich, but also have plenty of money. So I see a lot of audi around here.

I looked at the BMWs. They have a decent plug in hybrid option actually, but I just can't trust a BMW out of warranty and we don't do leases. They're sharp though, I will admit that.

Tow and go should have added the 392. Or been part of an R/T 392 package. The SRT is cool and all, but it's just a lot more. The seats in the tow n go aren't the nicer srt seats either. It's a weird package honestly, the 5.7 think would be underwhelming for me knowing I could have had a 6.4. Also Explorer ST bests it for less money, so there's that too.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
IMHO both GM and Ford missed the mark with the Blazer and Bronco.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also Explorer ST bests it for less money, so there's that too.
Unless you're going to tow with it. Keep in mind the ST only has a 5,600lb rating. Be getting real close to the limit with your SX230 IMO. If I remember right, the SX series is around 5k on the trailer. Durango tow rating starts at 6,200 and peaks at 8,700 depending on the package. I think all the R/T or SRT models have at least 7k ratings.

Tow ratings are what really drove my decision to the Q7 or the R/T. There are some other options out there like the ST, but most of the "midsize" SUV's cap out in that low/mid 5k tow rating range, which will cover my AR190 just fine, but not our hopes of getting into a 24ft boat in the next few years.

Currently, my Q7 needs a few things addressed. Just crossed 60k miles on the odometer, so I need to do a full fluid swap. It needs pads/rotors/flush. I also have a thud/clunk in the front suspension. I suspect it's the lower hydraulic control arm mount (known issue), but haven't confirmed. have my eyes on a tune and lowering links as well. Assuming I keep it I'll probably do all that here in a month or so. Found out last month I have two ruptured discs in my neck. Get my first steroid shot tomorrow morning. Currently my desk at work and my drivers seat in the Q7 are the largest "aggitators" of the problem. If I can't get this neck thing to calm down in a month or so with the Q7, I'm going to rent a Sierra for a week and see how that feels. If it "fixes" the seating position then the Q7 will go away. I spend ~75mi/day at minimum in the car during the week. I can't continue to live with this pain at that level.

IF......I end up replacing the Q7 in short order, then I'll be going back to a fullsize pickup. The pickups are just SOOOO damn useful. They don't drive even a little bit sporty, but they make up for that with utility. I really miss some of the ruggedness and the bed space of my Sierra. Wish I had the cash for a brand new AT4X with the 3.0L Duramax, assuming I could find one that is. The new '22 Interior looks amazing. More than likely I'll end up with a used SLT again. Just really hard to justify the cost on a new one. Still not sure how I'm going to pay for that Silverado EV I have reserved. Maybe I'll win the lotto by then?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, I think explorer ST is like "just enough" for my boat. Like, uncomfortably close just enough, lol. Like it's a good idea to add an extra trans cooler and the Whipple intercooler to keep things cool close. For some reason the aviator with the plug in hybrid was rated for over 6k pounds for a bit, but then that dropped down too.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder if some of these ratings exist solely to drive people up into the next size up. Like 5600 pounds is because at 6500 it'd cut into expedition market too much or something.

Dodge just needs to bring back the Hellcat Durango and make the srt 392 about 10k cheaper. I think the other issue is no incentives. In normal times that 80k srt Durango would have been 60 to 65k with 0% financing. That's not bad. But when you're looking at full price without a subsidized loan... That's too much.

That's where explorer really shines is its 58k with everything you'd want. And makes 400hp on 87 octane. It's not perfect, but it reminds me a lot of the sort of vehicle that my TBSS was/is. No carbon ceramic brakes, no 305 wide track tires, hell it has floating calipers not brembo mono locks or anything. Want the high performance brakes? Cool they're slightly bigger and red and come with different pads. The explorer ST is almost a tuner vehicle in a way, you'll want to add to it, vs buying an all in, all done package. Whether that's good or bad I dunno, certainly has its merits to be a little more mundane, but buying something already "done" is nice too.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, pricing and other details announced. 66k starting for the SS. Expected 290 mile range, sub 4 second 0 to 60 with like, 590hp. Haven't warmed up to the styling at all, and no mention about towing or anything.

That pricing is kind of rough, compared to the aforementioned explorer ST. Yes, the blazer ss is faster 0 to 60. But the explorer is larger, cheaper fully loaded, tows, has a 3rd row, doesn't look stupid... and the level of performance from blazer is available with tuning.

I think it's gonna be a tough sell honestly.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Did you see the Ford Lightning tow test? Barely could make 100 miles. May not be a concern towing a boat back and forth to a lake close, but that was disappointing for a truck that supposedly can power your house. Ford Lightning Towing Test Shows Serious Problems

Farny

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, I think explorer ST is like "just enough" for my boat. Like, uncomfortably close just enough, lol. Like it's a good idea to add an extra trans cooler and the Whipple intercooler to keep things cool close. For some reason the aviator with the plug in hybrid was rated for over 6k pounds for a bit, but then that dropped down too.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder if some of these ratings exist solely to drive people up into the next size up. Like 5600 pounds is because at 6500 it'd cut into expedition market too much or something.

Dodge just needs to bring back the Hellcat Durango and make the srt 392 about 10k cheaper. I think the other issue is no incentives. In normal times that 80k srt Durango would have been 60 to 65k with 0% financing. That's not bad. But when you're looking at full price without a subsidized loan... That's too much.

That's where explorer really shines is its 58k with everything you'd want. And makes 400hp on 87 octane. It's not perfect, but it reminds me a lot of the sort of vehicle that my TBSS was/is. No carbon ceramic brakes, no 305 wide track tires, hell it has floating calipers not brembo mono locks or anything. Want the high performance brakes? Cool they're slightly bigger and red and come with different pads. The explorer ST is almost a tuner vehicle in a way, you'll want to add to it, vs buying an all in, all done package. Whether that's good or bad I dunno, certainly has its merits to be a little more mundane, but buying something already "done" is nice too.
That’s what we bought my wife so she could boat tow while I tow travel trailer. It comes with the Ford racing driving experience. Actually on a plane to perk city with the wife to do that now. She loves it and it gives her Dr’s Cayenne too much to handle. 562F3783-90F4-4BD5-94CC-396C9CD9949C.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you see the Ford Lightning tow test? Barely could make 100 miles. May not be a concern towing a boat back and forth to a lake close, but that was disappointing for a truck that supposedly can power your house. Ford Lightning Towing Test Shows Serious Problems
That's about to be expected with a giant sail as a trailer. Check out this video with a Rivian and a trailer. Weight isn't the issue, aero is.

Out of Spec Reviews has been doing a TON of tow testing with the R1T and Lightning. Good information if you can handle the guys for the long videos.

I don't think it's disappointing at all. It's better than we were a few years ago when a ModelX couldn't manage to get 90miles with a smaller travel trailer. https://www.youtube.com/c/AllElectricFamily

An EV powering your home is a VERY short lived solution. That Lightning has a ~131kWh battery I used 1,612kWh last month for my home. So just barely more than 2 days of usage if I could access the whole battery. I'm unsure how the connection between powering your house and usable range make it a disappointment. Using a shade over 1kWh/mi is the equivalent to ~9mpg or so........Seems about par for the course really.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There was a similar thing with people who took a cross country trip in a rivian truck pulling a small travel trailer. They were getting about 100 miles of range before they had to recharge.

I didn't watch it, but from others who did the owners went from being superfans to being very disappointed with it, having to stop every hour and a half basically.

Why someone would buy an ev to do long distance towing and not recognize its limitations up front is beyond me.