• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

the trailer hunt

Kross

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
wow I've done lots of learning sense my first post. From my understanding, I need a specific trailer, and buying used just ain't gonna happen. The price I thought I'd pay has gone up significantly as well. Looks like I'll end up paying between $3800-4400+tax. WOW, OUCH.

Currently I'm deciding between

#1: Continental a2450b
for $3950+tax
(highlighted in yellow)

#2: Peterson Boat Trailers (all custom)
waiting on the price. thanks for the info.

#3: Float-On Trailers
http://www.floaton.com/index.html
$4350+tax

Any comments on the a2450? look like a winner? Could I get away with less? price ok? thanks

- Kross

Kross

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Peterson boat trailers just came back with a great price. $2650. That price includes the following:

22/24 Tandem Torsion 6000#​

Alloy rear bunks with 2 x 6 carpeted forward center bunks​

LED lights & Stainless Steel hardware​

14” Galv 205/75 Bias

Price does not include brakes $2650.00

Pics below;

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Any feedback appreciated.

- Kross​

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You need brakes but otherwise, it looks great.

Where are you located? I see the .AU on the side of the trailer.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think he's in Florida from what he posted in another thread... the .au threw me as well... I guess it is just the US extension of the company... or the other way around. :confused:

At that price I will definitely think about pulling the trigger on one of those trailers.

http://petersontrailers.com/

@Kross ... the only thing I would question was the bow stop... from here it looks galvanized? Not sure why they would not use aluminum stock for it...

Last edited:

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Looks awesome...Great price. Speaking from experience if you're in salt water at all, get the top of the line kodiak stainless steel with SS backed pads. They will run you about 800 per axle (you could likely get away with only one axle) just for the @wheel hardware. So the price goes up for a surge brake tongue also?

My trailer custom built with Zinc plated brake hardware on both axles was 3500.00. Great trailer but I spent 1600 upgrading the brakes on both axles in just 3 years. I got mine here. http://www.aluminumboattrailer.com/ They built it off boat measurements and it was perfect the first time. They are local to me.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice trailer. I would suggest upgrading the winch and jack to the fulton F2 and possibly ad a step at the front. If you live in a flat area you could manage with brakes on one axle. Cam.

Kross

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@cwoav8r - They tell me the entire thing is Aluminum. these pics might not repersent the one I'm buying exactly, just an example I'm guessing that they sent me.

What does a trailer without breaks feel like? If I'm driving a short distance? thinking ab breakless. anyone driven without breaks before for reference?

and yes I'm in Florida. no idea what the .au is. Tampa FL.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Legally you have to have brakes. I would go with electric if I had the option.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They tell me the entire thing is Aluminum.
That is definitely encouraging...

Disclaimer... I would not recommend towing without brakes on the trailer. I have pulled my boat in the flat lands of Florida with and without brakes. My tow vehicle is a Ford Expedition and has enough ass to handle the boat, if you know what you are doing, and always leave yourself an out. There will always be those times that you cannot predict conditions, and the trailer brakes could save you from disaster.

Do I feel that I can pull my boat short distances without brakes safely... in my own mind yes. :rolleyes: When I buy a new trailer, will I include brakes on at least one axle... absolutely. The brakes on only one axle were more than adequate as far as I am concerned, but still not legal for Floridians.

@Bruce is correct in stating that in Florida, the law requires brakes for our boats based on weight, however the laws do vary by state. The majority of states require brakes for trailers over 3000 lbs. In Florida, boat trailers must have brakes on each wheel if the combined weight of the trailer and boat is over 3,000 pounds. Actually, Florida Statutes section 316.261 states that brakes are required for any trailer and cargo combination over 3,000 pounds, whether or not a boat is the cargo. In any situation, the gross trailer weight cannot exceed 40 percent of the towing vehicle weight.

My MFI trailer only came with brakes on one axle, they only lasted one season and I continued to pull it without them. Brakes on only one axle are not legal in Florida, but the trailer was manufactured in Tennessee where it meets the standard. Ultimately the responsibility lies with the owner and making sure your equipment is is compliance with your state laws.

Let your conscience be your guide, but as I always tell others... if you have an accident, and it is determined that your vehicle or trailer does not meet the standard or lawful requirements, and contributed to the accident, your insurance company can give a hard time paying a claim.
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I almost forgot... I have pulled very heavy loads with various vehicles. All had electric brakes with the exception of my boat. The advantage of electric brakes over surge brakes is that you can control the amount of braking by the load. Brakes on the trailer will take the load off the tow vehicle... when you apply the brakes, you will feel the back of the tow vehicle squat letting you know that they are working. It will also feel much more controllable.

I agree with @Bruce on electric brakes... it is a little more costly, but worth the price for the ability to control the amount of braking the trailer provides.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don't have any experience with electric brakes but aren't they going to be drums? Drums in salt water sound like a horrible combination. Seems like the water would just sit in there and rot everything out.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@sysinu has and likes electric drum brakes. But I believe his boating is fresh water only.

The electromagnet is well sealed. Only the fairly simple metal parts would be prone to salt damage.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA