• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts on keel gelcoat repair

Scoop

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
When I pulled my boat out recently I noticed the gelcoat was worn off the bottom and needs to be repaired. A shop quoted me $1800 to $2000 which seems very high to me so I thought I would fix it myself. Its on the bottom so it does not need to be perfect. Any thoughts on the best product/kit for such a repair?

Its hard to tell from the picture but the worn section with fiberglass showing is about a foot long at the front of the keel. It doesn't appear to have worn out any of the fiberglass below the gelcoat.

Also whats the thinking with keel guard strips? Pro/Cons?

Thanks Scoop

ThanksIMG-5317.jpg

Fix it yourself. Then put a keel guard down your keel. It won't decrease performance and protects your boat. Can't think of any con's against using a keel guard. I put mine on and it has saved me a couple of times. Patch it and do you best then cover it with a high quality keel guard.

@Scoop Any updates on this repair? I have a similar problem and curious how your repair turned out. Appreciate anything you can share.

I used Marine Tex for the repair and it worked out well. It is pretty dull but since its on the bottom of my boat I dont mind. I will probably go over it with Gel Coat at some time to make it blend it with the rest of the boat it is however pretty far down on my "to do list." I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

Here is the repair so far. More work to do but looking much better.IMG-5959.jpg

I have had issues with gel coat adhering to the gel coat. If you go that route I would be interested on your results.

Personally I would patch with gel coat the areas that a bit higher up sand and finish and put on a nice Keel Guard on it. White. I use a Gator Guard Keel Guard and they are fantastic. Would look brand new

I used Marine Tex for the repair and it worked out well. It is pretty dull but since its on the bottom of my boat I dont mind. I will probably go over it with Gel Coat at some time to make it blend it with the rest of the boat it is however pretty far down on my "to do list." I will post some pictures when I get a chance.
Appreciate the info. It looks good. This helped me with my repair. Thanks!

Back