• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

throttle by wire vs cable debate

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Question for all who have driven both which do you prefer ? and what can you describe about the feel of feach compared? .... it seems yamaha sx250, ar 250, s 252 are all cable driven throttles 252se , 252sd are wire throttles . thanks

I think the biggest thing is being able to control both engines with just one throttle. Otherwise I didn’t notice a big difference coming from my 2006 AR210 to the 2021 252SD. it’s smoother then my old boat but that’s to be expected since it’s 15 years newer. But I will say I love the DRIVE system using the paddles makes it really easy when moving around the dock or marina.

Tell me more about the Drive @Danrich please. I’m thinking about either the 222XE or XD and from what I can tell, the only difference is the Drive and about $4.5K. Do you really think it’s worth the difference? I was thinking if you’re new to jets, maybe. But I’ve got 6 years of experience with my 212X and many years of boating experience before that. So I was leaning towards not getting it until I saw your post. Thx.

All 1.8s are throttle by wire but outside of the E series use a cable to control a variable resistor that feeds the wire.

MR-1s and two strokes use a cable that actually opens the throttle.

I love the drive I had about 3 year experience before I got it and did ok docking and getting around. I boat mostly on the Columbia river in Oregon. We have pretty fast currents with competing wind that made docking pretty tough. After getting drive I have been able to back into my slip no problem every time. Basically with drive I use the single lever mode when driving around and the paddles when docking or moving in tight spaces. I don’t think in the two summers I’ve had it I have used the sifters in dual mode like I had to with my old AR210. Also my boat is completely stock none of the thrust vectors or other steering enhancements. I planned to add them when I got the boat but I don’t feel I need them.

for me if you have the option to get either boat (222XE or XD)I would get the XD. I always like to get the highest trim I can afford with the hopes of better resale value down the road. But it sounds like you know what your doing and have plenty of captaining experience. I doubt you can go wrong either way.

Hopefully that help let me know if you have any other questions.

P. S. If I was going to ever buy another Yamaha in the future I would not buy one without the drive system unless I just couldn’t afford it.

Back