• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Through Hull Backing Plates - Bedding For Load

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Checked this forum's AWESOME FAQ and Control F7 before posting this thread to avoid duplication. Before I post I can't say enough about the versatility and ease with which this site can be navigated. I have used a lot of software in my time and this forum is top shelf! Now to business. From reading member posts a lot of you are doing neat mods. I am contemplating adding the same metal receptacle for the cockpit table that I have in the main cockpit of my SX195 to an area of the swim platform (like on a lot of Yamaha boats) - if I can find a suitable mounting location. I'm sure all of you would use a metal backing plate to secure this part thereby avoiding load damage to the fiberglass that just screwing it in could do. A trick I learned a long time ago - when doing ANY through hull accessory mounting - was to make a bed of Sikaflex or 3M about 1/8" thick slightly larger than the area of the backing plate. This ensures total contact of the plate to the inner fiberglass wall instead of having it rest on a couple of higher spots, which ensures much greater spread of the load. Of course, I would use ss aircraft type nuts and bolts with washers.

Darkside

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Using Sikaflex or anything that remains pliable will just cause a point load across the top of the backing plate when the table is cantilevered from the bracket. A mixture of thickened epoxy with either cotton flocking or chopped FG fibers mixed in and applied to a roughened (60 grit) plate will work much better. If at all possible the backing plate should extend between bends (curves) in the hull. I have quit using metal backing plates and use G10 with some fender washers. G10s coefficient of expansion is the same as the boat and will never break loose.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Using Sikaflex or anything that remains pliable will just cause a point load across the top of the backing plate when the table is cantilevered from the bracket. A mixture of thickened epoxy with either cotton flocking or chopped FG fibers mixed in and applied to a roughened (60 grit) plate will work much better. If at all possible the backing plate should extend between bends (curves) in the hull. I have quit using metal backing plates and use G10 with some fender washers. G10s coefficient of expansion is the same as the boat and will never break loose.
@Darkside .......I appreciate your perspective. I have never seen evidence from my installs that co-efficients of volumetric or linear expansion have created any gaps, stress-release phenomenon or diminished their integrity. I used 3/16" aluminum plate in most applications 1/4" in some extreme situations - that I sanded on the caulking side for added cohesion (and a reason I stopped using SS for plates.) I have found that Sikaflex and 3M harden sufficiently to load spread and being a semi-cured liquid only, IMO, enhances their strength as anti-compressive and load-spreading abilities of liquids are, IMO, superior to a rigid installation behind fiberglass, something that I have seen result in stress cracking. The fact that Sikaflex and 3M do not become rigid is a compelling reason for their universal use with through hull fittings as they expand and contract with whatever product they are employed with, particularly materials of disparate composition. I have never had stress cracks using the method I described with installations going back decades in situations where either constant load or random, variable loads were applied. I have avoided any sort of chopped FG or woven roving, of any nature - even when mixed with vinylester resins, as that composition attracts water and can lead to hull damage.

Last edited: