• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thru Hull Transponder mounting location

Brad Holley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have 2015 Yamaha SX190 and a Garmin Depth Finder and must mount the P79 thru hull Transducer in the hull, were is best place to mount this?

Brad Holley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The p79 Transducer shoots through the Hull, so mounts internally. No holes

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
On all my other boats i used thru hull tranducers and actually drilled holes. Depending on angle of hull i would have to fab up an offset plate to make it shoot straight down. I would recommend finding a flat spot on the exterior hull and then try to find the same spot on the inside of the hull. Hopefully there will be no obstructions on the inside. Best of luck

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Scott beat me to it.

On the 2012 AR190, and other years for that matter, the cleanout tray can be removed with a number of screws. This should expose the hull around the pump, exhaust etc. Or those two ports, but it leaves you little room.

Good luck!

2020-06-10 10_38_30-2012 Yamaha AR190 (RX1800BL) Jet Unit 4 _ Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse and 7...png

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perfect, thank you! This helps a ton. That's where I'll glue it in, then!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Theryan, be sure to test it with a bag of water. It may be tough to do.

The last time I epoxied a thru-hull transducer, I put down a ziplock of water, then laid the transducer on the water, avoiding bubbles of course. Then weighed it down with a brick or anchor. Then went and tested.

This will allow you to be sure you get no interference from jetwash etc. As once that sucker is epoxied in, you will not be moving it again.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bittdotorg - did you pull that picture from the yamahasportsplaza website ??
I tried to do a copy/paste (I have to use the "select all" from the left button click) of it but it always wants to pull all the parts along with it,

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bittdotorg - did you pull that picture from the yamahasportsplaza website ??
I tried to do a copy/paste (I have to use the "select all" from the left button click) of it but it always wants to pull all the parts along with it,
I use a sneaky tool called Greenshot. Before we updated the screen shot tool at Microsoft, I kept sharing Greenshot to my peers until it was addressed. It's probably the best screenshot tool out there for the price. I love to use it to grab thumbnails off videos too.

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Theryan, be sure to test it with a bag of water. It may be tough to do.

The last time I epoxied a thru-hull transducer, I put down a ziplock of water, then laid the transducer on the water, avoiding bubbles of course. Then weighed it down with a brick or anchor. Then went and tested.

This will allow you to be sure you get no interference from jetwash etc. As once that sucker is epoxied in, you will not be moving it again.
I was thinking about doing that, or doing the method that Hawkeye says about using petroleum jelly and taping it in to test. I wish I could just take it and epoxy it in where other people have and know it would work instead of having to test it and then pulling the tray out again and epoxying it in.

First world problems, I suppose.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Honestly, if you are putting it in the same exact place, you will probably be just fine. You have the right idea