• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

ThrustVector X vs ThrustVector Wake

boatingfamfun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi everyone, I'm a new jet boat owner, but not so new to boating. I understand there are several posts on ThrustVector products, but am having a challenge finding answers to my specific question.

We have a 2020 Yamaha AR240. Prior to buying the boat, I understood the slow speed steering challenges with jet drives, but I felt like the benefits of the boat outweighed the slow speed steering issues. After having the boat for a couple of months, my wife hates driving the boat at slow speed and now she completely refuses to even try. I feel like I'm getting used to the slow speed maneuvering, though still can't maneuver the boat around the dock as well as a prop driven boat. Since my wife also isn't comfortable backing up a boat trailer, I end up being a pretty busy one-man show when it comes to trailering the boat. I understand her frustration, but would like it if we could get better low speed maneuverability so that we could work together when it comes to trailering and so that my wife can feel comfortable driving the boat. This (along with several discussion threads on this forum) led me to ThrustVector products.

We also wakesurf, wakeboard, and tube behind the boat. I have the Yamaha WakeBooster and more than half a ton of ballast. Our water sport activities suggest I should go with ThrustVector Wake but I've read some mixed reviews of that product. Everyone seems to agree TV Wake still does a great job at low speed maneuvering and knocks down the wake while also making the wake cleaner but I've also read reviews about the steering binding at times, extremely heavy steering at speed causing sore arms, more frustrating install, and interference with the Yamaha WakeBooster. Considering my primary purchase of the product is to improve slow speed maneuvering, I can't help but wonder if it would be better to go with the proven TV X, especially when you consider it is half the price. Are there any drawbacks to the TV X? I read one review of a person complaining about the wake spraying worse than stock (with TV X), but other than that, I can't really find any info on this.

If any of you have experience with both of these products or have any insight, I'd appreciate your comments.

I thought the TVW were not compatible with the yammie wakebooster. I may be mistaken

I thought the TVW were not compatible with the yammie wakebooster. I may be mistaken
Maybe, I don't know. The JetBoatPilot website says you can't use the Yamaha WakeBooster with their jet wash deflector that mounts on the ladder. I assumed if you didn't use their deflector, you could still use the WakeBooster with the TV Wake, but maybe not. Thanks for the reply!

You might also consider Cobra Jet Steering products as well. I’ve had both regular TVs and now Cobra Jet Steering and while both are pretty much the same with low speed handling, the Cobras are much better built, adjustable and you might prefer the “always down” position with as much water sports as you are doing. I like being able to cut a little tighter than stock when pulling tubes, wakeboarders and picking them up.

I have the tvw's. If you are happy with your current wave for wake surfing then I would not recommend the tvw's. Go with the tvx or one of the Cobra steering systems.
But if you are looking to get better slow speed steering, less jet spray at tubing speeds and a more clean wave and NOT use your wakebooster. Then TVW'S would be the best option.

You might also consider Cobra Jet Steering products as well. I’ve had both regular TVs and now Cobra Jet Steering and while both are pretty much the same with low speed handling, the Cobras are much better built, adjustable and you might prefer the “always down” position with as much water sports as you are doing. I like being able to cut a little tighter than stock when pulling tubes, wakeboarders and picking them up.
Thanks, I did look at the Cobra Jet Steering. It looked like there are just 2 fins on a twin engine boat as opposed to the 4 on the TV, so I figured the TV would work better. I'll take another look.

I have the tvw's. If you are happy with your current wave for wake surfing then I would not recommend the tvw's. Go with the tvx or one of the Cobra steering systems.
But if you are looking to get better slow speed steering, less jet spray at tubing speeds and a more clean wave and NOT use your wakebooster. Then TVW'S would be the best option.
Thanks for the info. How is the steering feel at speed? Is the steering so heavy that it's difficult to steer or enough to cause any regrets with the purchase? How about binding in the steering? One reviewer said they had the steering bind while at the dock and had to put it in reverse to fix the problem, though they never gave any amplifying info that I saw.

I definitely notice very stiff steering. It does wear your arms out when you are pulling tubers that want a lot of excitement. But I am willing to deal with it because I like the benefits of them. I have had an issue with them binding, but then I realized I had not installed them properly. I was able to easily fix it and no issues since and I have put MANY hours on them.

I am definitely happy with them over all. They do what they advertise. I think the newer boats might not have as tough of steering issues as im experiencing. BUT not 100% sure about that.

Last edited:
I definitely notice very stiff steering. It does wear your arms out when you are pulling tubers that want a lot of excitement. But I am willing to deal with it because I like the benefits of them. I have had an issue with them binding, but then I realized I had not installed them properly. I was able to easily fix it and no issues since and I have put MANY hours on them.

Thanks for the honest feedback. I appreciate the help!

For anyone interested, I got an email from jet boat pilot stating that the use of Yamaha WakeBooster will void the TV Wake warranty. It does not void the TV X warranty.

Back