• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Timing chain quandry

sikm3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So I just purchased a '14 192 boat in good shape. Original timing chains. Don't know how long I'll keep the boat since. I may keep it for a while or I may buy a newer 19 footer. Undecided really.

Do I buy extended 2 yr YES warranty and roll the dice with the chains or do I pony up the $$$ to do the 2016 timing chain upgrade? I'll probably lose cash if I sell with either option. Also, I'm under the assumption Yamaha will no longer fix the engines out of warranty anymore.

So what would you guys do?

Last edited:

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have read on this forum that Yamaha previously had split costs of repair for owners out of warranty. It is my belief they were avoiding a full blown recall and avoiding class action lawsuits in doing so. if the warranty is transferable, then I would purchase It Only if I knew I was selling it. Should help as a selling point. Your going to lose some money but it should sell easier even if the buyer is aware of the TC issue. Just my thought having been thru a TC failure. I inquired about trading in boat with a Yamaha dealer but no interest on their part. Never got an obligatory follow up sales call either! They said it was the step loan financing I opted for. First 5 years is mostly interest, not principle. So at year 3, I would have to come up with $12,000 negative equity even before a deposit on another boat and despite 800+ credit score. Cheaper to keep her!

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So I just purchased a '14 192 boat in good shape. Original timing chains. Don't know how long I'll keep the boat since. I may keep it for a while or I may buy a newer 19 footer. Undecided really.

Do I buy extended 2 yr YES warranty and roll the dice with the chains or do I pony up the $$$ to do the 2016 timing chain upgrade? I'll probably lose cash if I sell with either option. Also, I'm under the assumption Yamaha will no longer fix the engines out of warranty anymore.

So what would you guys do?
I just bought a 2015 knowing full well about the potential for timing chain failure. I am gambling a bit for sure, but in the end it doesn’t seem like 50% of chains fail it’s more like 1 or 2 percent.
Fingers crossed

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Now that time has passed that seems to be true, at the height of TC failures it was only speculation wether the numbers were going to increase or not. With Hindsight you get clarity. I think the percentage is close to 1%. I should play the lottery. I will admit, I still have anxiety over the TC even with the fix.

sikm3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
sucks the motor has to come out and torn down to do the TC upgrade.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Pre-covid, and starting in June took 8 weeks. (3 days until it could be diagnosed due to high volume of repairs at marina.) The whole time shop supervisor updated me with progress and delays due to 1. Back orders and 2. Yamaha corporate requiring explanations of parts ordered. Initially, I called Yamaha direct to open a case. My rep there never followed up with me the entire time nor afterwards. When I called him to update him and ask why the lack of communication? I questioned him and said a total engine failure on a new boat and no follow up on your part?

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2014 probably 180 hours now. I check the timing chain every year when I put new plugs. Takes me 20 minutes to pull the timing cover and individually inspect each link. I am a former auto mechanic and i've heard one of my friends has been rebuilding these motors. So i'm not really worried about it. I got a good price on the boat 2 years ago.

KYjetboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anybody have any idea on labor costs to upgrade chains? Im assuming probably not cheap since the whole bottom end has to be torn down

sikm3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Anybody have any idea on labor costs to upgrade chains? Im assuming probably not cheap since the whole bottom end has to be torn down
I was quoted approximately $3k-$3,500k

KYjetboat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was quoted approximately $3k-$3,500k
Thanks, plus $1,500 for the new chain kit even though that is much better then $15k+ if a chain breaks but still a little much to spend on a what if scenario that may never happen