• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tire and bearing temps after a tow

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I know there are a lot of helpful ideas and opinions on here about long tows and prepping for them. One was to bring a Laser temp gun that one would use for grilling and cooking to keep an eye on the temps.

I thought that was a great idea but what temp range and values besides ambient temps prior to the tow are useful?

Does anyone have any idea what is normal and when is it starting to show an issue? I just did a 5hr tow this week with air temps in the mid-90's. Checked the tires and bearing hub with the laser to get a value not sure I know what it means.

Tire sidewall temp was 120F
Bearing buddy hub was showing around 115F

Those seemed reasonable. I'm a bit of a nervous tower so anything that helps me build confidence in my equipment helps. This trip definetly helped.

Thoughts? Input? Appreciate it guys n gals.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Agree those seem reasonable. I just watch for one bearing getting noticeably hotter than others - much hotter than 115.

My brake axle will get pretty hot after a long summer tow down the mountain. I don’t recall exact temp but hot enough you don’t wanna keep your hand on it for more than a second. Both sides of each axle will be approximately the same though.