• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tired of losing my license plate

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I've lost my license plate 3 times in 4 seasons. I'm not sure if the people around me at the ramp parking areas can't drive, or if I'm clumsy and keep running into things or what. I've been very fortunate in that the local park rangers, or check-in station has had my plate each time I've lost it. Good Samaritans must outnumber bad drivers?!?!

Anywho, I've replaced the plastic mount a few times, then finished out last season with some safety wire in complete "just get me to the lake 3 more times" fashion. Well this spring I did something about it. Drew up a mounting bracket and had the guys in the shop laser cut me the shape out of 3/16in 316L stainless. Mounted it up today, and it's absurdly sturdy for holding a license plate. So stiff that I'm somewhat concerned I'll bend the trailer bracket before bending the plate.

Here's the bracket before installation. I made it shaped to pull the license up tight to the light vertically, and to be aligned with the edge of the trailer bracket horizontally. The "top two" holes match the pattern on the back of the trailer lights, and use those holes/studs to keep it in place, replacing the crappy plastic piece that was in there before.
1616973852389.png

Here's the crappy old plastic bracket as I was taking it apart.
1616973892950.png

Here's the new bracket in place. It's much more robust than I expected.
1616973947916.png

This is where the license plate will live. Still have to get some 1/4-20 stainless hardware to hold the plate in place. Going to go with security lock nuts this time too in hopes of it surviving the vibration at the end of the trailer.
1616974036850.png

I'll be happy to send the CAD file to anyone that wants it. It's pretty easy to make overall, and I would expect any local shop that has a laser cutter could make it for you in short order. I can even ask here if we can make a stack of them if there is enough interest. Not sure if everyone has this problem, or it's just me?!?!

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s crafty!

What was suggested to me, was use stainless steel wire ties instead of a bolt and screw on the plate. It seems to allow the plate to ”flap in the wind” some as I drive down the highway and is also forgiving if I were to back up to a curb. If the plate has no give when you encounter a curb, the plastic plate holder takes the brunt of the force.

Wasn’t trying to jack your thread, just providing another option for others.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be interested, just don't know of anyone who has a shop to cut me one.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a diamond plate replacement for the original crap plastic one on Amazon for cheap money.
The original plastic ones are just waiting to fall apart

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be interested, just don't know of anyone who has a shop to cut me one.
Lets see what kind of demand we get. I can probably make a run of 10-15 of them if we get a few more people in. No idea on cost as I flew mine under the radar, but likely couldn't do that with a larger run.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do most states require plates on the boat trailer?

Great job on fabricating the new bracket. That should be alot stronger than the plastic bracket.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Great job on fabricating the new bracket. That should be alot stronger than the plastic bracket.
I'm originally from KY and they do not. I bought my first boat out of TN, and they didn't even require a VIN for the trailer. IN requires both.

I have no experience outside of those states. I'm surprised all states don't require a plate on trailers to be honest.......as well as brakes, but that's a whole 'nother conversation :D

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I bought a diamond plate replacement for the original crap plastic one on Amazon for cheap money.
The original plastic ones are just waiting to fall apart
Looked last night and bought 4. Replacing ALL of the plastic ones. Thanks for the tip.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be concerned that its too stiff and backing it up or hitting something on the road might break more than just the lic plate bracket. I was looking into a hinged solution so that if in the event i struck something backing up or road debris, etc. it would just go with the flow instead of breaking.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be concerned that its too stiff and backing it up or hitting something on the road might break more than just the lic plate bracket. I was looking into a hinged solution so that if in the event i struck something backing up or road debris, etc. it would just go with the flow instead of breaking.
You're not wrong. Not even a little bit.

I'll be sure to report back with how it works out.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

In MN it's above a particular weight. Most single axle trailers can get a lifetime license put on the tongue of the trailer. Those above a particular Gross weight, have to have a plate.

Most have to realize where these are getting hit, and around here it's at the end of the landing. So many power load sub 20' boats, so there is a hole at the end of the concrete, followed by a huge hump coming up rather shallow. So any of us with 24' boats, or pontoons will literally run off the concrete and push the back of our trailers (license plate) into the pile of sand behind the power loading hole. And ripping it loose, if not off. Once you get to the parking lot, it's nearly falling off or will.

Some of us have put on thumb screws to allow us to pull the plate off when launching or retrieving just to save the hassle.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I just zip tied mine on. Have towed it all over the place, 7 hours one way to Torch lake and all over Indiana. Never had an issue

Jpace76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just zip tied mine on. Have towed it all over the place, 7 hours one way to Torch lake and all over Indiana. Never had an issue
Zip ties are the way to go. I did the same thing on mine and my jeep and have never had an issue with it.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Zip-ties are great, but unless they're UV rated for outdoors, they will eventually harden and crack in half - probably while cruising down the highway.
:)
Lots of bass boats power load around here (which is illegal here due to environmental concerns) and they do the same thing to some of the older ramps. One ramp we've seen but don't use has been destroyed due to so much erosion, the concrete literally collapsed and shattered, then power loaders blew the concrete chunks into a pile 10 feet back. I heard some hit their skegs or props on the chunks, bitched about hitting rocks, then power loaded their boats anyway...go figure:

Ramp1.jpg
Ramp2.jpg
The second pic shows the blown out chunks. The ramp up is to the left where it's deeper and you had to watch out for this pile on the way in (when water was low it stuck out like this and the city put a barrier up).
:oops:
That ramp with six lanes is expected to be fixed at a cost of $600k with big concrete footers, with extra long ramps so power loaders don't ruin them again.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't had any problems with my boat trailer but my old jet ski trailer had the license plate in a really low position. I put it on a stainless piano style hinge I had laying around and never had anymore problems.