• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

To bypass oil injection or not to...bypassed!

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I’m nearing the end of my ten hour break in period on the new motor I installed. From the beginning of this project I’ve considered bypassing the oil injection system and running premix. For break in purposes, they prescribe running premix and injecting the oil through the system. It does smoke pretty heavy on startup until it’s warm, but not terrible. Is there any reason I should not delete the oil injection system and run premix 50:1? I hear a lot of folks saying delete it, and it seems like eliminating a big potential problem. Thanks for your opinions and input.

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I have always felt that the oil injection is a potential weakness in the whole system. Failure can have catastrophic results.
If I ever get to that point..... mine will be bypassed as well.

My existing engine (that still runs) is bypassed and runs premix. So, my problem is how to get through break in minus the oil injection.
Haven't quite worked that out yet.

For the break in I would need to find oil tanks and whatnot, reinstall etc.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
I have always felt that the oil injection is a potential weakness in the whole system. Failure can have catastrophic results.
If I ever get to that point..... mine will be bypassed as well.

My existing engine (that still runs) is bypassed and runs premix. So, my problem is how to get through break in minus the oil injection.
Haven't quite worked that out yet.

For the break in I would need to find oil tanks and whatnot, reinstall etc.

Anyone have any advice on this?
Hey Stomp.
Even with the variable rate injection system I’ve questioned how, in a carbureted system, does that really make good sense to have a system that leans out the oil ratio while cruising, but then if I come down off plane to let another boat by and return to plane, the fuel in the carb bowls is not mixed for that condition, how is that better than premixed?
I am attaching a photo of the break in sheet sent with my engine. The instructions say to double your oil. So if you don’t have the injection system, mix the fuel at 25:1 instead of 50:1.
ACB5EF88-3ACA-44BD-805B-2675D1FA7305.jpeg
She’s gonna smoke, but that’s just the first ten hours.

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Thanks, I did read through that a couple of weeks ago, appreciate that reminder.
It fell out of my head while I concentrate on planning out the swap.
One less thing to worry about now. :thumbsup:

Even with the variable rate injection system I’ve questioned how, in a carbureted system, does that really make good sense to have a system that leans out the oil ratio while cruising, but then if I come down off plane to let another boat by and return to plane, the fuel in the carb bowls is not mixed for that condition, how is that better than premixed?
That's a good point too.
I've always run premix but I'm pretty old school. I have no problem doing it though.
Never had a 2 stroke blow up on me yet.....

Did you back your idle down for the first hour or just go with the 1000rpm?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Do you know how much smoke you may have with premix? I am preparing to reinstall the oil pumps to reduce the embarrasing smoke screen.

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
@Stomp10 I kept my idle at about 900 for a while, now it’s set at 1100. Idles good, but I might turn it down some.
@Kenneth Johnson i premixed 40:1 and had the injection system mixing more, so mine was smoking pretty heavy at launch and warmup. I don’t think it can possibly smoke that much at 50:1.

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Finally found this. I knew I had seen this when searching for an engine. This is one of the reman supplier’s recommendationsC6392DAB-203F-421B-A4E5-483C90CCA179.jpeg

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Done. It was about a two hour job and now a lot less can go wrong.

Last edited:

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
JIC somebody else puts fuel in
247D39E6-533D-4724-9F77-8BE4F1EF76D5.jpeg

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
No it actually smokes less than it did. I was running premix with the injection system working for the new motor break in time. It smoked like a coal train then, just lightly smokes at no wake speed now.