• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Too heavy of an anchor

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Need an opinion. I lost my 13 lb box anchor which was perfect. A lot of anchors must be stowed in Davy Jones locker this summer because Amazon is all out!

So I thought what’s 12 more pounds and got a 25lb monster. To heavy for our boats?

Thanks

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 25lb. Richter anchor. It's a serious bitch to pull up sometimes, but my boat DOESN'T MOVE 99%of the time on anything but a totally rocky bottom! It still fits in the anchor locker. 👍
3' of chain on it btw.

Last edited:

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I Use a 30lb River anchor with 5 ft of chain For 192 boat. I stow it in a milk crate. great work out pulling out of water. In addition I have been using an anchor monitor and it holds on those windy, chopy days or the not so great spots with boat traffic.

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We use a 20lb box anchor w/6’ of chain and our new mantus w/4’ of chain at the aft... We don’t move anymore 😆 you’ll be fine with it as long as you sort the storing to your liking...

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Bought a 4 lbs Fortress danforth style anchor...I can toss it like a grapefruit and it's so easy to pull up as it weighs so little - the mud usually weighs more. Holding power is really good. Only issue is that it's so light that current and seabed material affects how it lands on the seabed and sometimes the flukes stay up and won't dig in. Even so, it's so light I can't knock it.
:D

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have both 8lbs and 13lbs Mantus. The 13lbs holds amazingly well, but it's a bit of a bear size wise. The 8lbs is awesome EXCEPT in this one area where the 13lbs holds fine but the 8 won't hold the first time (sometimes 2 or 3 tries, so I don't use the 8lbs anymore) I will be experimenting with a 4lbs FX4 I just got as a secondary/lunch hook to see how effective it is.

I used to have a 20lbs Navy anchor that also holds every time the first time. The issue is lower holding power against very large swells. It would get unhooked. it holds again right away, but I was loosing 5-10 ft on every big tanker passing by. In sand, the mantus (even the 8lbs) holds better than my navy did. If you boat mostly in sand I bet you would be super happy with the mantus 8lbs. Best of Luck.

Bluewater272

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have a featherweight fortress anchor with 10' of chain. Easy to toss and retrieve, and when properly set will hold at least two boats in strong wind and current. Proper deployment and scope is way more important than weight.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Gents! Always good to get a round of opinions from the best!

I will be getting the beast this Thursday.

I attempted to dive for the anchor in the area I lost it but visibility was 12' or less and no joy on that effort but someone told me about a recovery magnet.....

Thanks again