• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Top 5 items or accessories to have on your boat....

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Being a new owner and or others looking for ideas on what to have on boat; can you seasoned professionals share what are the top 5 things to have on boat.

Cobra Jet Steering
Sea Dek
Dual batteries and onboard smart charger
Stern anchor
Grill
Beer? Yeah.... Beer!

Cobra Jet Steering
Sea Dek
Dual batteries and onboard smart charger
Stern anchor
Grill
Beer? Yeah.... Beer!
I'm not sure what the 5 would be but Dual Batteries is#1 if you do not have get it. I would also suggest an oar lol and beer incase you ever need the oar.

Not going to disagree with anything else already said...

Good dock lines
Fenders (don't get ones that are too small)
A tool kit (screwdrivers, wrenches, electrical connections, etc.)
'Toys' - pretty general, but know your passengers. Could be tubes for towing, water chairs for lounging, football or Frisbee, etc.
Garbage bags (because of all the other stuff you bring out on the boat)

don't forget to have a knife handy in case you suck up a line into the impeller. i bought one with a small hook at the end to be able to get to the line. and no...i've never had to use it.:p

A GOOD anchor and plenty of rope (I have a box anchor and 200 feet of rope)
A very sharp compact knife
An air horn
A powerful flashlight or spotlight
At least two fire extinguishers

For fun - a decent stereo system
A waterproof camera
Things to float on - we like oil noodles and comfortable pfds

Hose clamps incase you need a tow or an engine stops working. I've got two needle nose vice gripes. Knife, fire extinguisher if you don't have a couple. Tool kit.

And BEER.

Welcome to the forum and jet boat ownership! In the infamous words of @Brmorganjr , BEER! Of course that is a consumable, much like gas, but it is a necessity almost! You didn't mention whether these were mods, equipment, or accessories, for your top 5 items. That kind of matters, because as you can see, the list is developing in both directions. So you kind of need 5 top mods and 5 top tools, maybe 5 top toys and 5 top accessories. Some of these things kind of cross lines being a mod but an accessory as well, like a box anchor. In my opinion, the box anchor is the single best thing I have on my boat. It is truly a set and forget anchor once you understand the principles involved. The direction you go with other things kind of depends on how you boat. Some like to lounge on the boat, such as at the party cove or sand bar, others anchor in deeper water, and others don't do much of that and find themselves doing wake sports and then coming back to their dock. So the list develops based on how you "use" your boat. Here is a valuable thing for the new owner, it is the "checklist". And the checklist can be modified to suit the way you use your boat. I keep my boat in the barn (second garage on my property). So my checklist evolved from that approach, rather than someone that has a boat on a lift in the marina. But it was created in Word and you can modify it to suit your needs. A checklist is a "check" list, not a "do" list, but when you are new, a checklist can teach good procedures and "flow" or literally a routine. It is the routine that you develop that works, that saves your butt at the end of the day. So I will give you the checklist and with it, you will come up with what you want to add to your top 5 lists that work for you. You MUST have the required coast guard items plus what you need to operate your boat safely. Good fenders, dock lines, spare rope, plenty of rode/chain/anchor depending on what anchor you choose. The list goes on. Mods? Well, the stereo upgrade is a must, and a new owner may want fins to help him develop and teach the boat to family members. Storage containers and even storage mods to help store containers and other stuff. Our head compartment has been modified own both of our Yamahas to have shelves. And they were so useful that Yamaha adopted them and added them to the new boats. Additional lighting for night time fun is great. The AO Cooler is an absolute must IMO. The 36 can is a good balance, the 48 is too big and I have had two 24 cans and they are too small unless you have two of them. Back to the ground tackle for a moment...the standard deep bow anchor I mentioned, I prefer the Slide Anchor's Box Anchor in the small, it is the appropriate size for our boats and will fold and fit in your anchor locker...but pad that locker and keep the anchor from bouncing as it is heavy and can crack your hull and gelcoat. But as some mentioned, the stern anchor is another important tool too. Depending on where you anchor and play, the stern anchor can be set on the beach/shore, and the bow anchor is out deeper 50 feet or so in front of the boat, and then you can enjoy the wonderful swim platform right next to the beach in ankle deep water. The same company that makes the box anchor makes the Shore Spike, and the shore spike is a well suited hammer style spike that is easy to use in all kinds of conditions, even underwater! You need a large shore spike, as the smaller one is too short in loose soil conditions and not a big enough hammer to drive it into tight soil or rocky conditions. Then, to hook some of the things you need to hook, some good carabiners are helpful. But NEVER USE A CARABINER ON YOUR PRIMARY ANCHOR! Ask me how I know. Anyway, your off to a good start. Hide the second set of keys with floatation in the boat somewhere. Get a good boat bag too, the more waterproof the better. Never have your car keys in your hand walking to or from the boat over the water, and get some croakies or similar lanyards for glasses! Once again, welcome aboard and here is the checklist!

Attachments

Tool Kit.
Not sure dual batteries are critical. It depends on you usage, but certainly one of those new lithium booster packs to get you out of a jam. It is about 1/2 the size of a phone book, and a potential lifesaver.

I forgot one...and I think your 2012 came with them...Boat Buckles!

If you beach....keel guard.

Thank you all so much, I think its great to see what everyone uses the most of and get some cool ideas along the way.

1. Danik Hook
  2. Multi-tool and/or toolkit
  3. WORKING Flashlight (led with long life battery is your friend)
  4. Cell phone charger cord(s)
  5. Bottle Opener

The only thing you really need is an internet connection on a smart device to access jet boaters.net and the AT help feature...

Not counting safety equipment, My favorites are:

1) Box Anchor. You can keep those danforth styles.
2) Shore spike for the stern
3) Perfect Pass as it makes towing someone SO much easier
4) hard wired bilge pump..that was only I can turn it off
5) cobra fins

1. Family and friends
Items 2 - 5 depends on 1;)

As @txav8r correctly observed, it all depends upon what type of items you are talking about. But I guess if I had to pick 5 (over & above basic safety equipment)...

1) CO2 fire extinguisher (an extra one you can use in the fire port)
2) Second battery and BlueSea Add-A-Battery ACR
3) Box anchor
4) 36 AO cooler
5) A big, flat towable (tube)

Unless I get to count all the stuff in my toolbox as one thing, then I would put that as #5. It has duct tape, screw drivers, hex keys, spare fuses, zip ties, wrenches, pliers, wire cutters and a mess load more stuff in it...

Safety items not already covered:

Decent hand held VHF, cell coverage on the Chesapeake can be spotty

Preprogramed phone numbers for towboat, and local first responders. Sometimes all you have is 2G, have you ever tried to find something fast at 2G speed?

A qualified second operator, as jet boat owners we are naturally exceptionally inteligent, and good looking, but unfourtunately not invincible.

Fun stuff,
What's better than good friends? Good friends with Beer!

A couple of towables, and other things that float

Squirt guns

On the anchors, I have no experience with box anchors, I use the pointy fluked ones, the bottom at the top of the bay is almost entirely mud/clay of varying hardness and grass.
Andy

1.) Stereo loud enough to drown out the engine noise.
2.) I love having a GPS / Chartplotter. Especially for night boating.
3.) Lock & Peg fender hangers. Makes deploying fenders so much easier for the wife.
4.) AO Coolers. Different occasions call for different sizes, but as others have said the 36 makes a good drink cooler.
5.) Mounted Magma Grill. It's so easy, we cook almost every time we go out.

Back