• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Top Speed 240 Limited

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hello new guy here looking at getting back into boating. Anyway, I sea trialed a 2017 240 today and couldn’t break 37 MPH on calm water in normal elevation (Nashville). Is this typical?

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No, 50 mph would be normal.

This is pretty similar.

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Roger that. Thank you!

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2 big dudes, full tank, top open, some gear, sea level, 85 degrees, no wind, I get 51mph. 8 or 9 people + their gear and all the other conditions above, I get 46/47.

I think on a cool day with just me, top closed, maybe a little tail wind, and less gas I think 53 or 54 is possible.

So no, not normal. Over filled oil, old spark plugs, or impeller/wear ring damage would be the first things to ask the seller to check if you are still interested in the boat. I personally wouldn’t buy it until you saw at least 10mph more out of it, although in this boat shortage I’m sure someone will snatch it up.

NewGuy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thank you for the reply. Definitely a nice boat from the outside, but something doesn’t jive. Good suggestions I’ll look more into.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the reply. Definitely a nice boat from the outside, but something doesn’t jive. Good suggestions I’ll look more into.
Do you remember what RPMs you were getting? Should be around 7500. That would help narrow down the issue. 7500 and 37 would make the pumps (impeller or wear ring) a likely culprit. Less RPM would lead you down the oil/plug route. If you can get the boat on a trailer you can get your phone in the intake grates to get photos of the impellers/rings. Should look something like my photo below. I was just checking for seaweed and didn’t feel like laying down so my angle isn’t the best.
CE522DEA-40B1-4C32-99D7-3A3F1A6BB6BC.jpeg

Bssmith1220

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For sure should be closer to 50mph.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hello new guy here looking at getting back into boating. Anyway, I sea trialed a 2017 240 today and couldn’t break 37 MPH on calm water in normal elevation (Nashville). Is this typical?
@NewGuy .....H3LL NO! That boat should hit 50 MPH!!!! :cool:

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it’s a 4 star California engine I’ve only hit around 47 mph. At first I was disappointed but I don’t drive like I did when I was younger all the time so it doesn’t bother me that much now.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
If it’s a 4 star California engine I’ve only hit around 47 mph. At first I was disappointed but I don’t drive like I did when I was younger all the time so it doesn’t bother me that much now.
@Weeb.....ribbon delete and if not 50 then maybe a RIVA air filter. :cool: