• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tow valves vs. Yamaha warranty

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I remember a thread from the "other" forum about tow valves and Yamaha's warranty policy concerning them but I don't recall the outcome. I have the tow valves in hand and am ready to install them so I can flush out my engines while still in salt water, but I'm concerned that Yamaha may claim that this would void any warranty work for "whatever" reason. Does anyone know how to confirm if Yamaha would have an issue with the installation of the tow valves or not?

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its not wrong to modify things, however if they can prove your mod caused the problem you are trying to warranty then you'd be screwed. So if your valve leaks, floods the engines and destroys them I would think you'd be screwed. Or you overheat an engine cause you forget to open the valve, etc. Thats the premise I would operate under. Really no big deal. You assume the risk for things that you control.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just looking at the YES warranty they will deny coverage if any non-stock alteration has caused damage, which makes sense. My concern is that Yamaha might try to blame some non-related issue on the tow valves. I suppose that it is just a chance to take since they cannot categorically deny coverage because something non-stock was installed.

I was thinking that I would ask the Yamaha dealer to install the tow valves just to give an extra layer of protection--don't know if they would be willing to do it since I would supply the valves so they couldn't guarantee the valves' quality. I suppose I will just do it myself and worry about any warranty issue if it ever arises.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They don't often cover much in the way of claims concerning water ingestion or overheat. Both of the issues that could be related I suppose, to the valves. If you ever had an issue in either of those areas, you would be subjected to dealing with their scrutiny of your entire engine and cooling system. You don't store your boat in salt water do you?

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Could you just replace the hoses that you are cutting to install the valves if you end up needing warranty work?

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They don't often cover much in the way of claims concerning water ingestion or overheat. Both of the issues that could be related I suppose, to the valves. If you ever had an issue in either of those areas, you would be subjected to dealing with their scrutiny of your entire engine and cooling system. You don't store your boat in salt water do you?
I keep it at an indoor storage on a rack but I boat in salt water. I don't want the workers at the storage unit to do the flushing--I would rather do it myself when I return to the dock and am still sitting in salt water.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Could you just replace the hoses that you are cutting to install the valves if you end up needing warranty work?
That's a good idea--there is only one hose for each engine I need to cut so I should probably buy a couple of replacement hoses just in case...

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I keep it at an indoor storage on a rack but I boat in salt water. I don't want the workers at the storage unit to do the flushing--I would rather do it myself when I return to the dock and am still sitting in salt water.
Would they start up the engines to maneuver the boat after you flush them?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think, if I remember the description of his service rob they just use a sling to take his boat out and drop it in.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think, if I remember the description of his service rob they just use a sling to take his boat out and drop it in.
Gotcha, some places have slips that you leave it in, then they move the boat to the lift. This is good conversation because I plan on installing these valves soon as well.

On that note...I havent been able to find 5/8" valves anywhere online.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I think the pinch pliers are the best bet here. Keep two on board and if you need them put them on. That way no issue with them denying a claim. Just mark the hose with some chalk where you would need to apply the pliers and put them on if needed. $30-$45 fix depending on which tools you choose.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
How do you get to the back of the engine to crimp it off? (In the engine bay)

I can only get my hand back there...barely. Forget trying to get my head there to see what I am doing.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From what I've seen they just maneuver the boats around by using long poles and ropes. I understand what you are thinking though--it wouldn't make any sense to flush the engines if they were going to start them again.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the pinch pliers are the best bet here. Keep two on board and if you need them put them on. That way no issue with them denying a claim. Just mark the hose with some chalk where you would need to apply the pliers and put them on if needed. $30-$45 fix depending on which tools you choose.
The problem I have with that is that I would have to do it every time I came back in since I boat in salt water--could be a lot of wear on the hoses. Also, on my boat it is exceptionally hard to get back to the correct hose. I was thinking about installing the valves in a more convenient place so I wouldn't have to reach behind a hot engine every time.

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gotcha, some places have slips that you leave it in, then they move the boat to the lift. This is good conversation because I plan on installing these valves soon as well.

On that note...I havent been able to find 5/8" valves anywhere online.
I got my 5/8" valves from Island Racing.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I bought mine from Island racing and had my dealer install them during spring prep last year (2103). Coincidentally my YES warranty expired at the same time, so I really didn't consider that to be a factor.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@xoomer makes sense based on you needing to do it often. Agree using the pliers would not be a good solution.

@RobA I agree it is not easy to get back there. I have the pliers in my tool kit for worst case. I was worried about putting in the valves for the reason xoomer stated and they would say it was the valves even if they had nothing to do with it. A lot comes down to your dealer and the rep they send to evaluate the claim. Also agree you could put the original hoses back on :)