• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tower speakers KM6500.2 or wetsounds or ???

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
With winter approaching I am starting to form my winter mods list and on the list is to upgrade my current tower speakers that came in the boat from the factory. So my question to anyone is do you have any of the above speakers and heard comparison to other tower speakers. I have heard the wetsounds rev8 so I know what they sound like. I am just a lower budget guy because my mod list this winter is adding up quick!! I would like to stay with HCLD speakers for a replacement...if I don't go that route I will just put 2 new MM651 speakers in my current cans and live with that for a season. Really curious about the Kicker HCLD sound... TIA!!

dustinjean

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
i have the km6500.2's powered by a kicker kxm400.4 and they sound great especially for the price, if i get a chance i will get some video and post it this weekend. they sound amazing 5' away and the sound doesnt change 90' + away. granted wetsounds do sound better atleast the few i have heard but the price is insane and they are huge hanging in the way imo. i dont wakeboard anymore until i get a pp but i hear them easily when surfing or tubing and i know you surf so you will be fine with them

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
$400 to $1400 is a big cost difference. Hard to justify for a little better sound quality

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
The Kicker HLCD is a great value and it is likely the best 6.5" HLCD available today. But you cannot reasonably compare any 6.5" to any 8" HLCD. Surface area absolutely rules up on a tower. In order for the Kicker to favorably compare you would need the second set of 6.5" midbass components requiring a total of six pods.
You might also throw the Wetsounds Icon8 in the ring. Larger 8-inch midbass surface area and well balanced.
Not sure where $1400 for a single pair of Rev8s is coming from? Or, is that including the amplifier to drive the Rev8s?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Off of Wetsounds website...I guess I was looking at REv10's......$1350, Rev8's $1200. No amplifier...I have that already. If I could get them cheaper I would be up for looking at them. Maybe I should call Earmark? @David Analog

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had and will have again, Bullet Hollowpoint Neo 7.7 HCLDs. They are a great speaker and I believe (David correct me if I am wrong) the sound is between the Rev8's and Rev10's. They are in the same price range as the Rev 8's for what I think is a better and louder sound.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Quote: "Maybe I should call Earmark?"

Yes you should contact Odin with Earmark Marine. He has forum discounts, plus progressive zone and system discounts. And he knows the category very well.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
An 8-inch is still going to be louder than a 7.7". And a 10-inch is louder yet. Again, you can't get around surface area.
The more recent edition of the HollowPoint 770s is a very good speaker. When compared to most other HLCDs the HP 770 is found to be warmer by many who audition them side by side, which makes this a popular speaker. Domestic pods and collars. Spun aluminum pods. Rotation/swivel capacity to correct for tower compound angles. Tower-specific collars. Tightest fit against the tower with only 8.75" hang height. There is a lot to like about this speaker. Odin carries the HollowPoint also.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wetsounds will often run specials over the winter...I kept my eye on their site and picked up a pair of pro80's and a pair of MB8's for $500 apiece a year or two ago....just have to watch for the deals and be patient ;)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Exact same speaker just because it is a 7.7"? Not at all!
Same 7.7" basket is about all they have in common.
Different midbass cone material. Different tweeter compression driver.
Krypt knows less than zero about audio. Krypt simply sent the HollowPoint to China to have it ripped off at the lowest possible price. But the Krypt is just a Frankenstein of speaker parts with no engineering. Krypt intentionally tries to syphon off the HollowPoint mindshare. They did the same routine with the Wetsounds EQ. That is the basis of the Krypt business model.
The HollowPoint was developed with the assistance of domestic engineering including Red Rock Acoustics and sounds entirely different.

JCampbell

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Highly recommend the Rev8's. Get them with the swivel mount. You can remove for transport and aim at the beach when there. Also have to recommend the WS420. It gives you separate control for volume and sound between tower and cabin with the PA thru the tower. Great tool for teaching surfing and when the kids are behind tubing

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

dustinjean

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have Exile XM9'S and highly recommend them. Check out the "hot deals" section of their website starting about this time of year. You can usually pick up a set for around $800. That also includes the swivel clamps that unplug so you can remove them with a thumb screw as well as covers. Swivel clamps are a must if you mount on any compound angles like I did.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've heard a couple great stereo setups on this forum, including @OperationROL 's, at different price points. I think @trace had some kicker tower speakers on one of his boats that pumped out some decent sound, don't know which model. If you do go wet sounds call around for pricing...and Rev 10's on a tower are retardedly awesome, I'm just saying...