• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing 24'Shorelander with 2019 Expedition

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yesterday I traded my Chevy Tahoe for a 2019 Ford Expedition. The Expedition has the HD towing package with the Class 4 , 2 1/2" tow bar receiver, even though that was not my primary reason for trading. I might as well be prepared since I have full towing capabilities. A couple years ago I had purchased the Weigh Safe package for the Tahoe but it had a Class 3 , 2" receiver. Not sure if I will be getting the Weigh Safe for the Class 4 or not yet ? I'm curious for those late model Expedition owners on the forum , what drop you have found to be best suited for the 24' Shorelander Yamaha trailer ?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my 21' I use a 2" drop but have it rotated up on my Expedition.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yesterday I traded my Chevy Tahoe for a 2019 Ford Expedition. The Expedition has the HD towing package with the Class 4 , 2 1/2" tow bar receiver, even though that was not my primary reason for trading. I might as well be prepared since I have full towing capabilities. A couple years ago I had purchased the Weigh Safe package for the Tahoe but it had a Class 3 , 2" receiver. Not sure if I will be getting the Weigh Safe for the Class 4 or not yet ? I'm curious for those late model Expedition owners on the forum , what drop you have found to be best suited for the 24' Shorelander Yamaha trailer ?
I wasn’t aware of any class 4 hitch that was 2.5 inches. Thought that was only a class 5 thing?

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I wasn’t aware of any class 4 hitch that was 2.5 inches. Thought that was only a class 5 thing?

You could be correct about the Class 3 vs. Class 4 issue ?? It definitely has a larger receiver than the Tahoe and requires a 2.5" receiver bar.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tried a few different draw bars with varying drops and some upside down before settling with a bar with a 3.5 drop. This allow me to have a level trailer after the auto leveling rear suspension does its thing. I have a 2010 (older) expedition with 20” rims/tires so things may be different on the newer models with self leveling suspensions and different rim/tire sizes.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had a 2018 and (now) 2020 expedition max with HD towing package - and tow a 24 shorelander trailer on my 2016 242. 2” inch drop. That’s all you need. Expedition tows much better than my 2012 Yukon xl (which was fine) but have been extremely happy with the expedition max Otherwise there’s nothing for you to do - it’s all set ready. I probably till 7000 miles between my two expeditions. Oh yes and you must put on the radial tires and never use bias ply tires.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for all the replies ! I was totally mistaken. On the dealers lot the tow bar receiver on the Expedition looked bigger than the 2" on my Tahoe? Once I got it home the 2" Weigh Safe bar fits perfectly. False Alarm. Happy Boating.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the replies ! I was totally mistaken. On the dealers lot the tow bar receiver on the Expedition looked bigger than the 2" on my Tahoe? Once I got it home the 2" Weigh Safe bar fits perfectly. False Alarm. Happy Boating.
Something something something..........Comment about it always looking bigger in pictures..........something something something