• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing limits for tubing - AR250?

Erinpatricksmith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Columbus (home) and Port Clinton (lake house) OH
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m reading in the manual that the ‘24 AR250 is limited to 350lbs on towables. That seems light since I see plenty of 4-person tubes on the lake with 3-4 adults on them. Should stick to 350 lbs or is it overly cautious?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Way overly cautious. I once towed a 320 pound center on the knee board as well as his brother and my kid on a tube at the same time, two ropes of course. Easily over 500 pounds.

gthorson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Pop the corn, this discussion is about to go off the rails as it does multiple times each year. Do you what you feel comfortable with.
I like your optimism for a show. But I think it is settled that as long as you hook the tow rope over the rear view mirror, loop it around your anchor light, then slip knot on the tower pull point, and finish by wrapping it around the ladder you are good to go, as long as you don't suck it into the jets.

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hopefully you are towing tubes from lower tow point on the swim deck right? I'd say that is overly cautious. Don't tow the tube from the tower. I wouldn't tow a boat from the tow point but I think you would be fine towing more than 350. . . How much more is up to you.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Some thoughts on towing inflatables:
  1. Don't tow from the tower - people do, but the lawyer sticker on your boat says "don't" - so why chance it.
  2. Make sure your towable is inflated as much as possible. Underinflation causes unnecessary drag.
  3. Look into creating a longer rope, or buying a "booster ball" so your towable reaches past the jet wash.
  4. If #3 isn't available you can (with a little practice) "kick out" your riders out of the immediate wake and onto the port or starboard side to make the ride better.
  5. Be mindful of docks, buoys and other boats when towing!

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I like your optimism for a show. But I think it is settled that as long as you hook the tow rope over the rear view mirror, loop it around your anchor light, then slip knot on the tower pull point, and finish by wrapping it around the ladder you are good to go, as long as you don't suck it into the jets.
I like to add one loop around my ankle so i can gage how they’re doing back there by feel without the need for an unnecessary spotter.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I like to add one loop around my ankle so i can gage how they’re doing back there by feel without the need for an unnecessary spotter.
LOL wait what? You put part of the tow rope around your ankle?? I need a clearer picture of that because it sounds like you want a wooden peg leg...

Erinpatricksmith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Columbus (home) and Port Clinton (lake house) OH
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some thoughts on towing inflatables:
  1. Don't tow from the tower - people do, but the lawyer sticker on your boat says "don't" - so why chance it.
  2. Make sure your towable is inflated as much as possible. Underinflation causes unnecessary drag.
  3. Look into creating a longer rope, or buying a "booster ball" so your towable reaches past the jet wash.
  4. If #3 isn't available you can (with a little practice) "kick out" your riders out of the immediate wake and onto the port or starboard side to make the ride better.
  5. Be mindful of docks, buoys and other boats when towing!
1-using the lower tow point
2-10-4
3-have a booster ball from prior boat. Priceless
4-#3 covered
5-safety first

thanks for this!

chippens

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We’ve done a lot of tubing with the AR250 already this summer. I have the booster ball (60’ rope) and a 5’ bungee extension, and tow from the lower toe hook. I’ve observed minimal to no jet spray when I’m driving. When I was riding the tube today with the kids, the only time I got some spray or misting was when the jet wash hit the booster ball just right and we were heading into the wind.