• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with a TRX

crains

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Looking at getting a Ram TRX. I know the tow rating isn't spectacular. The largest thing I will tow is the boat, 255X. Does anybody here tow with a TRX? How's the squat? What should I do to help it, on say, a long road trip? (3+ hours)

255X is well under the capacity of a TRX. With the suspension on it, I doubt you will have any issues with squat. Get a proper hitch to keep the trailer level.

Looking at getting a Ram TRX. I know the tow rating isn't spectacular. The largest thing I will tow is the boat, 255X. Does anybody here tow with a TRX? How's the squat? What should I do to help it, on say, a long road trip? (3+ hours)
i was able to tow my 255xd with a hummer h3 alpha with the 5.3L Granted not the best with the short wheel base. It handled it just fine.

You can add Timbrens if the truck squats too much to your liking. Tongue weight will play role. Im at 650lbs on the tongue, the way the boat is on the trailer from factory.

Kepp trailer level...should be no issue for that truck.

Towing with a TRX shouldn't be an issue - the tow rating is dropped due to the raised suspension which means it will handle a little sloppy but the drivetrain power is there to tow the trailer.
Tongue weight for boats should be 5-7% of gross weight. Mine is 4900 lbs so tongue should be 245-343 lbs (per Shoreland'r specs) but from the dealer it was about 500 lbs (10%) and I could feel it pushing from the boat so I adjusted it to spec:
If you want to adjust tongue weight, first take a look at how the boat sits on the bunks - the transom of the boat should be just even with the end of the bunks. If it's too far forward, adjust the winch tower back so the boat sits flush with the end of the bunks, but not past the end. One inch of adjustment back will lighten the tongue by 25-50 lbs depending on trailer setup. Mine came with the boat 3 inches forward so I flushed it up. I then slid the axles forward about five inches and now tongue weight is nicely balanced at about 270 lbs. I notice it's easier to jack up/down which takes some stress off the jack, and it rides better and level.

Back