• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Bimini top?

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The manual says we cannot tow skiers/wakeboarders with the Bimini top deployed. Looking at it in the driveway, it certainly looks like this would be a problem.

Anyone try this?

I don't like the idea of messing with the top all day...would like to just put it up and leave it up...

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe the Bimini top has a certain speed that is rated for. I am uncertain what it is for the newer boats.

I would only consider towing the boat with the top up if I knew I would be under that speed and that there would not be any overhead obstacles.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You mean towing inflatables/wakeboarders? I don't think you'd be going much faster than 20mph with someone behind the boat so as long as the tow rope could in no way hit the bimini top, I don't see why not.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are talking about towing for skiing or wake boarding, check out jetboatpilot.com. I think he has a video on how to run the rope for towing for water sports.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It is doable I hear. But the bimini clearance is an issue. Speed is not an issue pulling riders, who is going to board/ski/tube at 45mph? That is the limit btw, on all biminis since my first 2008. But I am pretty sure they have all had that restriction.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do they mean towing people behind the boat or towing the boat behind something? Easy to go over 45 and tear it up on the trailer. Not sure if you bimini has the setting, but the older ones like mine have extendable rear legs so you can thread the rope under the top.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The top speed limit is 45 max airspeed. This means with the bimini extended, don't go over 45. I caution guys all the time, that if you have a headwind, this is easy to do and you will stretch and possibly damage the top. They are not referring to trailering, but you would not want to have the bimini up and trailer your boat either. In the lean position with the bimini rolled up on the frame, there is no speed limit, however in this position, it can sway violently when it is rough on the water. That can loosen the bimini and frame. It is only pretty rigid in the laying down position or fully extended on an SX or limited. Those of you with tower mounted bimini's have the same speed limit but your issues when it is folded up are non existent.

Chris5105

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The warning label on the top says to not drive with the bimini deployed faster than the boat will go. Meaning if you leave the bimini out while towing on trailer, don't go over 40. I wouldn't leave the bimini out on the trailer, but thats what I took it to mean. Based on your profile picture, @Gumbeaux it looks like you have a forward swept wakeboard tower. Perhaps due to the way the bimini deploys on that tower, which is to the rear if I remember correctly, is the reason they recommend you don't tow with the bimini deployed.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, I just placed my order for a new boot cover for the Bimini top. It tore apart while traveling to Florida last year. I had a canvas guy replace the zippers but he did a crappy job and it did not work. Ordered it and a couple hardware pieces from Yamaha sports plaza.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I leave my bimini deployed while trailering three miles to storage now. I don't exceed 45 mph on that road, and the AR240 is anchored to the tower. I would not feel as comfortable running a stand alone bimini top at that speed...

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry I was not clear...I meant towing wakeboarders, etc.
Thanks.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry I was not clear...I meant towing wakeboarders, etc.
Thanks.
That's what I thought you meant. I tow with our bimini top open all the time. Otherwise I get fried by the sun. But it seems as if each year, make and model have different bimini top designs though. On ours, we don't have any issues with the rope getting caught in the top.
Laughlin 09.JPG MadiWS1.JPG