• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Guides (Roller style)

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Anyone use these type of trailer guides? I cannot add the PVC style due to the trailer not fitting in my garage if I add any width. I just wonder how well the roller style would work.

1590673648201.png

TIA,
Scott

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I considered them, but they're too small for my liking for guidance when backing up and into the water. Question though, wouldn't those be just as wide as the ve-ve style guides?

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I considered them, but they're too small for my liking for guidance when backing up and into the water. Question though, wouldn't those be just as wide as the ve-ve style guides?
You are probably right about them sticking out just as much as the Ve-Ve's. I was thinking if they were below the rub rail and didn't stick out past the rub rail I would be okay.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
How much room do you have past the fenders to get into your storage? I can run a tape measure tonight and tell you how much I've got with the ve-ve's. They do stick past the fenders, but barely.

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
How much room do you have past the fenders to get into your storage? I can run a tape measure tonight and tell you how much I've got with the ve-ve's. They do stick past the fenders, but barely.
2" on each side. Very tight. I'm probably stuck with just not adding any. Removable guides would be an option if they were available.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve never used trailer guides and have owned half a dozen boats with different types of trailers. Do you guys think they make a difference?

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I’ve never used trailer guides and have owned half a dozen boats with different types of trailers. Do you guys think they make a difference?
They do if you boat in high current water or when the wind is blowing pretty good. It also just helps to center the boat when pulling out of the water. Worth it IMHO.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks. I rarely boat in the those conditions.

Are they helpful when backing up the trailer? Where I typically boat, the ramp is pretty steep and you can’t see the trailer if the boat isn’t on it. I actually reverse with the rear hatch on my SUV open...

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The roller style would work for you if you never use a deep landing. They will roll on the hull rather than the rub rail. The Vee Vee Guides are meant to stay on the rub rail. Point being, the rollers may leave some mars on your hull just like a dock fender would on the hull. Not the end of the world, but something you may have to buff out if they were bad enough.

The other point, is they may guide your boat, but you won't see them above the water in most conditions, or when packing the trailer. I too have to pull my guide posts when storing my boat for the winter the past two seasons. My new storage building has a wide door.

Good luck,

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
These boats line up pretty easily on the bunks without them - however they're nice to have when you want to move quickly getting your boat on the trailer. Also if you have a pickup truck they're great indicators of where your trailer is when backing down a ramp to recover.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
These boats line up pretty easily on the bunks without them - however they're nice to have when you want to move quickly getting your boat on the trailer. Also if you have a pickup truck they're great indicators of where your trailer is when backing down a ramp to recover.
Thanks. That’s my biggest challenge, backing down the ramp to pick up the boat. I don’t have a pickup truck, I have a BMW X5, but I guess the issue is the same, you can’t see out the back once the trailer gets below the rear hatch glass.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had some like this on my last boat/trailer combo.

Mine were welded on, and carpeted. They worked decently well.

A secondary consideration would be to fabricate a pinned quick disconnect system for the guides. Think of a setup if a square tube inside another tube with a pin to hold position. Could easily remove them before backing into storage, and still have them while trailering/retrieving the boat.