• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer option or not for new Yamaha 190 / 195?

JohnnyGee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi jetboaters. John here. I'm new to boats and hoping to be a proud first time jet boat owner in the next year.[flag] Going back and forth between the Yamaha AR195 and Scarab ho 195 impulse. I know the Yamaha's come more as a packaged deal with the trailer included. Is it possible to order the Yamaha without the trailer? I'd rather pay a little more for my own I-frame aluminum trailer with all the bells and whistles than a painted steel C frame. Sorry if this topic has already been addressed. ;) . Couldn't find a thread on it.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello John and welcome! I know when we were looking at new boats last year the dealer (yamaha) wasn't to keen on negotiating about anything. I do recall him telling us that the boats and trailers are a package. You can always try to negotiate on the new boat and trailer, buy them, turn right around and sell the trailer and then buy the one you really want. :Welcome:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
From previous threads and discussions on this it seems that they come as a package and can't be broken up at the factory. Now that's not to say that you can't negotiate selling the new trailer back to the dealer for him to resale or whatever but generally from what I've seen the boat comes from the factory with a trailer. If you are planning on selling the trailer you may as well request a galvanized one as those will carry more value.

Last edited:

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also when we were looking last year I searched forums for the Scarabs and there was a string of complaints about the boats having problems. I believe some boats sinking or at least having significant water in the engine compartment...I don't want to unfairly characterize the situation, but my understanding after reading tons of threads was that the manufacturer and engine maker were pointing fingers at each other of who was to blame for the problem and the poor owners were stuck in the middle. I am sure you will do your due diligence but wanted to make you aware of the potential problem/s with the Scarab, check the Scarab forums here: https://jetboaters.net/forums/scarab-jet-boats.35/ take a look and make your decision, either way you will be happy with Jet boating:)

JohnnyGee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks "haknslash" and "FLbulldoger" for the great advice! Suppose a motivated dealer would be willing to work with me on possible buyback of the trailer outside the original boat sale. I'm sure the equipped trailer in the package is more than adequate, I'm just one of those guys that if it works great, but if there's something better or a way to modify / build even stronger, simpler, lighter, faster I'm all in.. lol. One big advantage to the Yamaha is the drive and hull are designed / built as a unit. I'm going to look at the link you included on the Scarab forums. Seems like the Yamaha's are just more bang for the buck, but do like a lot of the electronic features of the Scarab and I find the analog tach and opposed speed display with engine and alerts in the middle very appealing but definitely more $$ than the Yamaha. We live in Arizona, so planning on escaping to our lakes a lot in the summers. Think the AR 195 or even SX would fit the bill perfectly as it will mostly be just me and my wife on the water. We won't be pulling the trigger on a new boat till around this time next year, but it sure is fun to learn and educate on ourselves on these jet boats.:winkingthumbsup"

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
If you are planning to buy new (sounds like it) it seems like Scarab has some of their quality problems under control. In addition to the finger pointing between Scarab and BRP it seemed like the issue was a lack of consistancy regarding the training of the dealership technicians so hoepfully that is resolved.

That said, one of the things I like best about my Yamaha is the simplicity of the design. I have been able to deal with (nearly) every issue I've had thus far. I'm not sure that would be the case with a 19' Scarab product. They seem to be nearly as complex as the new 21-24' Yamahas.

Last edited: