• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trick to tightening starboard hand rail?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2008 SX230. The grab rail at the front of my boat came loose, right side. I figured - easy fix. Crawl into where radio sits, tighten the bolt. Nope. I'm not fat, but I doubt even my teenage daughter could squeeze in that compartment. I'm in no mood to take the seat back out, which might allow access to the bolt. Anyone have an idea? Otherwise, I put this off until some down time......which I have none of, currently As always, thanks.

Oh, today we "touched the butt!" Traveled the entire navigable length of the Pocomoke River, into the Chesapeake Bay!photo2.jpg

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe that you have to get into the area in front of the steering wheel to even remove the seat back.

I can't fit in there either but my wife and daughter have both been in there to help me.

When you do tighten it please remember to use a thread locker so you do not have to do it again!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey @OCMD , I'm confused. First you said "port" then "right." Not trying to be a jerk, just looking for clarification.

If it is the right-hand side the boat I believe you can access the forward bolt on that handrail by removing the horn - maybe?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it's the port "left side" I tightened mine with a long extension while halfway laying on top of the seat bottom opening.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oops.....gotta' stop writing at 10 pm when mind is fogged. I corrected the title. This is the hand rail, right side, where the bolt is located in the "radio" storage compartment in front of the dash board and it is the bolt closest to the radio. Looks like I may have to hire a thin midget to get in there!

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unbelievable you can't access this bolt. I tried with an extension ratchet while trying to look through a mirror and holding a flashlight in my mouth. At least I could get my head and right arm in there. Taking the seat cushion out isn't an option because it is all solid wall the cushion backs up to. Routing speaker wire right past the bolt throws in yet another obstacle to contend with. ARGGGGGGGGG!! Guess it's one of those build quality things about a Yamaha. It's the little things that get you.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Take the bow speaker out and you can reach the bolts! The aft bolt you can reach by leaning into the compartment with an extension, but the front is better reached from the speaker hole. Don't mess with the seatbacks. Oh, and just put a trouble light in the compartment before you start, you will have ample light in there Tom!