• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trim adjustment on the vortex?

Bill Jenkins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I really love these boats, has anybody had any experience with adjusting to trim it just feels like at high-speed if I could get the bow up an inch or two the ride would be incredible. I remember years ago I had a JetSki that had trim on it and the performance was phenomenal . Any input is greatly appreciated

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Nope.
Been discussed and consensus is that the money spent would be better used elsewhere.
I will say though, trim tabs to put bow down can help but as far as picking nose up, nope. Trimming the pump up doesn't do much for speed but too much trim just shoots it in the air. Check out videos of old school jets throwing "roosters" and look at how the boat planes out. Boat stays the same but the pump shoots up.

I have pump wedges in at the moment but doubt they do much if anything. Brings me up to 5 degrees at pump vs the 2-3 stock. A little more wash and slightly larger wake perhaps but top end was so marginal it would be debatable as to any difference.

Bill Jenkins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Jet pump wedges, that is interesting did you make them or buy them and where did you install them? It sounds like you don't think they were beneficial at all.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it would be awesome to have trimable jet pumps. If any manufacturer does it I believe the others will be forced to follow.

I have trim tabs on my boat. They will only trim the bow down. Doing so provides for a much smoother ride in rough water and when crossing wakes.

I doubt trimable jets could do much for trimming the bow up without increasing draft.

But imagine how much trimming the jets down would improve the wake for surfing. I bet lots of owners would be happy to burn more fuel to remove the jet wash from their wake.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just steal the parts from a couple skis on ebay and start drilling holes and fabricate what is needed.

I actually don't think it would be too hard but cost, and doing it twice, is hindering. That and how/where do the trim levers/gauges/buttons mount?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Jet pump wedges, that is interesting did you make them or buy them and where did you install them? It sounds like you don't think they were beneficial at all.
Guy on greenhulk makes them.
I still have them in. I think they help with mpg more than anything else. And that is even minimal. I also seem to plane out at a slightly higher speed. With both tachs showing 7100-7200 and boat does 27ish. Can't do an actual 25 and stay on plane unless i bring the throttle on one side up then back down again once it catches itself.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Guy on greenhulk makes them.
I still have them in. I think they help with mpg more than anything else. And that is even minimal. I also seem to plane out at a slightly higher speed. With both tachs showing 7100-7200 and boat does 27ish. Can't do an actual 25 and stay on plane unless i bring the throttle on one side up then back down again once it catches itself.
With trim tabs I can plane at 14.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This is the wedge.
20160714_203728.jpg

Bill Jenkins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks fellas time to study...

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I could take video of my wake but don't think enough difference to notice. If i had a ski i would manufacture.