• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trim Tabs and Wake surfing

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was at a boat show and saw these and did not think much about the utility of these tabs but I just bought a Liquid Force Fish wake surf board and I think I need these! But hey they look like the trim tabs I have been hearing a lot about on this forum and I don't need any stinkin' trim tabs on my boat. But Wake Surf Tabs-YES! I need those!

OKsurf-tabs.jpg http://www.actionwater.com/blog/mastercraft-surf-tabs-a-must-have/
Sooo what is the difference and how come you guys hawking the trim tabs are not telling us about this use!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, if you want to dig deep enough on that other site, you'll find a write-up from me about the tabs way back when I installed them.

They will "help" on the Yamaha, but you still need weight aft to get a big wake.

I put them all the way down, get all the people to sit as far back as they can and the wake gets pretty good. I'm sure the guys with sacs or added static ballast will chime in. I don't know if anyone with tabs has bags as well, but I'm sure you'll hear about if someone has.

My son in law has a V-drive Tige' with bags and he has one real big tab that goes down to make a very large wake.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am not sure traditional tabs work vey well to shape wake on our boats. Hopefully #operationROL will chime in here as he has ballast and tabs. Hull shape, weight amount, weight distribution, tab placement and shape would all have an effect on wave shape, the crispness of the wave and the push. A couple members here are experimenting with ideas, but not sure anyone has come up with any results near a completion level wakesurf boat.

mtnv900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have tabs and no ballasts in the boat. The tabs do nothing for creating a bigger wake. I would spend my money else where if thats all you want trim tabs for.