• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

twin 170s

Stang7tl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Anyone in here have a scarab with the twin 170s? if so What is your top speed, what is your best full GPH @what speed and how do you feel over all? I am looking to trade my 195 open in for a 255 and its either twin 170 or 300s. I like my 300 in my current boat but we rarely go faster then 30 and top speed is 50 so really don't need more. I like not having to deal with intercooler and SC maint and etc. The other factor is run time with these small gas tanks. would like to be able to run to the Bahamas if I ever wanted to go in a group.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I can't comment from an experience perspective, but in case you didn't know, Scarab have these documents with tons of the theoretical numbers. Obviously they are always a little ambitious, but I found them fairly close to reality in my experience. But you do need to account for things like extra passengers and such. Their numbers are a little optimistic.

Page 11 for the 255. https://www.scarabjetboats.com/uploads/2022/12/Scarab-Product-Information-Guide-2023_1.pdf

I know superchargers are famous for burning more fuel... but in my experience once again using the 230 engines, if you drive at optimal cruising speeds, the gas difference is negligeable. I own a Sea-Doo GTX 230 with the supercharger. When I drive it in eco mode over long distances (56 km/h), I get the same range as naturally aspirated Sea-Doos with me. In fact, if you look at that chart and compare at 30 mph, the fuel burn rate for the 170s and 230s is essentially the same. The 300 on the other hand....... lol. Presumably because of the higher compression ratio, design, etc. that one DOES burn more fuel even at lower speeds.

I also realize that superchargers are practically a religion, but the newer so called "maintenance free superchargers" do have minimal work required. Especially for people like yourself that rarely work it hard or drive at higher speeds with heavy accelerations and such. The supercharger is supposed to be checked every few years including a slip check. That's about it. If it does wear out, then Scarab/Rotax wants you to buy a new one... but third party companies CAN rebuild them if needed. Again, for yourself, they would probably last way longer than a few years. The intercoolers require little to no maintenance. Even in salt water, to my knowledge, the only thing you have eto do is flush the exhaust system. But I'm a fresh water guy, maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, I'm not trying to tell you to buy a supercharged motor or not. Just making sure you have all the info. I own a Scarab 165 naturally aspirated for similar reasons. I don't go fast with it. It's a "family boat" (small family of 3). So there was no point in getting a supercharged boat. But for the Sea-Doo, I do like having that extra HP when I "need it". Typically on group rides when of course, there's always someone leading faster than anticipated or you need to catch up to a group and such. I find the 230 a really good balance since it also uses regular gas only. Save on that front too.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Real world loaded with required equipment, provisions and bodies my 255 with twin 150's tops out at 38 mph. I have had much faster boats but you can't beat the miles traveled per gallon of fuel with this setup. I usually cruise less than 20 mph anyway. The days of banging my body just to go fast over rough water are over.

Stang7tl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
I can't comment from an experience perspective, but in case you didn't know, Scarab have these documents with tons of the theoretical numbers. Obviously they are always a little ambitious, but I found them fairly close to reality in my experience. But you do need to account for things like extra passengers and such. Their numbers are a little optimistic.

Page 11 for the 255. https://www.scarabjetboats.com/uploads/2022/12/Scarab-Product-Information-Guide-2023_1.pdf

I know superchargers are famous for burning more fuel... but in my experience once again using the 230 engines, if you drive at optimal cruising speeds, the gas difference is negligeable. I own a Sea-Doo GTX 230 with the supercharger. When I drive it in eco mode over long distances (56 km/h), I get the same range as naturally aspirated Sea-Doos with me. In fact, if you look at that chart and compare at 30 mph, the fuel burn rate for the 170s and 230s is essentially the same. The 300 on the other hand....... lol. Presumably because of the higher compression ratio, design, etc. that one DOES burn more fuel even at lower speeds.

I also realize that superchargers are practically a religion, but the newer so called "maintenance free superchargers" do have minimal work required. Especially for people like yourself that rarely work it hard or drive at higher speeds with heavy accelerations and such. The supercharger is supposed to be checked every few years including a slip check. That's about it. If it does wear out, then Scarab/Rotax wants you to buy a new one... but third party companies CAN rebuild them if needed. Again, for yourself, they would probably last way longer than a few years. The intercoolers require little to no maintenance. Even in salt water, to my knowledge, the only thing you have eto do is flush the exhaust system. But I'm a fresh water guy, maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, I'm not trying to tell you to buy a supercharged motor or not. Just making sure you have all the info. I own a Scarab 165 naturally aspirated for similar reasons. I don't go fast with it. It's a "family boat" (small family of 3). So there was no point in getting a supercharged boat. But for the Sea-Doo, I do like having that extra HP when I "need it". Typically on group rides when of course, there's always someone leading faster than anticipated or you need to catch up to a group and such. I find the 230 a really good balance since it also uses regular gas only. Save on that front too.
I have been around SC units and NA all from boat, ski to cars I don't mind the work and I like the SC. I am saltwater mostly and I will say the scarab has a design flaw on the IC for saltwater design. The sound deading material hold water on top of it and will rot it, even with saxltaway every time. my engine bay is spotless but had that problem. I normally do all my own work but with the motor being under warranty I sent it to 2 dealers for low rpm issue they both are clowns. I ended up finding the issue.
Back to the current plans:
I know the spec sheets they are a little off which is why I am looking for real world. I think I can be fine with it doing 45 on a light load.

I know I will get a lot of better to have the extra HP when needed but I feel a little bit like it doesn't hold as much weight on the jet drive and how the pitch will play the roll. NOT saying its not a factor just not quite as much the coupled with how these boat get knocked around the high speed can get you in trouble fast where I go with the boat.

BUT WILL SAY I LOVE THE 300!!!! JUST TO BE CLEAR I LOVE IT LOL

Stang7tl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Real world loaded with required equipment, provisions and bodies my 255 with twin 150's tops out at 38 mph. I have had much faster boats but you can't beat the miles traveled per gallon of fuel with this setup. I usually cruise less than 20 mph anyway. The days of banging my body just to go fast over rough water are over.
I hear you! in most water conditions in south FL minus summer flat spells has some chop apr running in the ICW which has 30mph limit tho no one follows all the boat wakes make full speed sketchy

Stang7tl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
When you say full load... what would you say be the weight compared to the boat load rating ?
90% of the time its just my wife and I putting around.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Oh salt water... every time I read the stories/damage due to salt, I suddenly revise my plans to move away from Ontario, Canada to the Caribbean. lol But then winter arrives, lakes become hard, snowblowers become musts, and then reconsider the Caribbean once more. It's incredible what salt water does to these machines and I've never had to experience it first hand.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
When you say full load... what would you say be the weight compared to the boat load rating ?
90% of the time its just my wife and I putting around.
I keep water in the shower tank and head, safety gear, vests, a few tools, two coolers, sometimes fishing gear, second battery, and 90% of the time just my wife and I. Most I have ever had was six people total in the boat. Didn’t make much difference on top end. One of the best things about jet drives is no bow lift to plane no matter the load.