• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VHF

Tyler Tressler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I know there are tons of posts arguing over vhf radios. Has anyone put a mounted antenna on the t top? What set up did you go with?

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I keep an EPIRB on board.
Certainly an EPIRB is one of if not the best solution for wherever you may happen to find yourself on the water. No argument there whatsoever.

For those without the EPIRB...don't overlook the DSC function on your VHF. (It's a free function on all newer VHF radios) Register your radio to the boat, get your number, and make sure you interface to to your GPS otherwise it's pretty much useless. Fortunately I've never needed it either but in theory, if I ever push that little red button, I've pinged every other boat in range of that little digital packaged signal with my name, boat type, and position, and distress issue. I haven't updated my MMSI registration info for new boat yet, but it's a very straight forward online process.

To the OP, I'm sorry for steering your thread off course, since your original question hasn't been answered yet. I'm going to start a new thread on DSC if one doesn't already exist...

...and I wish I had a T-top and a taller garage. ;)

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We use a hand held from West marine 119.00 works well. Goes up to 6 watts

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the antenna on the T Top is a great idea. If I had a T Top it would be up there.

Bill Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I use a standard (brand) VHF with DSC and an antenna mounted to the t top. It's a Shakespeare 4ft with a ratcheting mount so it folds flat on the t-top. I can post pics later. I have not yet routed the cable through the tubing because I'm waiting on t top lighting to run as well so I can't comment on how well it works. :)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a standard (brand) VHF with DSC and an antenna mounted to the t top. It's a Shakespeare 4ft with a ratcheting mount so it folds flat on the t-top. I can post pics later. I have not yet routed the cable through the tubing because I'm waiting on t top lighting to run as well so I can't comment on how well it works. :)
Pics would be great! DO you have your DSC connected to a separate GPS antenna or is it built in like the GX1700?

Joey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know there are tons of posts arguing over vhf radios. Has anyone put a mounted antenna on the t top? What set up did you go with?
I've actually looked into this same topic... Contacted the t-top manufacturer "XTP" to get clear answer and unfortunately the t-top frame isn't set up to handle your typical VHF gauge wire due to the frame not being hollow throughout. However, if you have someone crafty enough they may be able to bore out the necessary spots to install a hidden cable.

Bill Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Agreed, I wish they would have manufactured the t-top without the split end caps but I'm just going to carefully drill the end caps and route the cable through.

I have the DSC tied into my garmin.

I mounted the radio in the top of the right console storage bin. I'll get some pics up shortly.

Joey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey Bill, did you happen to make any progress mounting your VHF antenna on top of the t-top frame? I see above you were waiting to route the cable and wanted to find out how that went. Thanks Joe

Bill Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I haven't made the commitment yet to pull the whole thing down and drill it yet. I will eventually and I'll put up a post about it. Until then I have it ziptied to the t-top. :(