• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vinyl seat stains -- Product recommendation

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all -- My Yamaha seats were fairly stained from the previous owner -- browning from sun tan oils and mildew. I started looking around at quotes to replace the vinyl (wide range from $2500-$6000) but then I saw the post from @GTBRMC about the mobile repair man. So I looked in my area and there were a few different guys who do mobile Vinyl repair. One guy quoted $1000 to do all of the white seats in the boat and another guy said $400. I was thinking $400 would be a great deal to get all of my seats back to a bright white condition -- but I was skeptical. So I started asking question about the process and discovered that he just spray paints a vinyl product on the seats. So I continued my research and discovered that the Vinyl spray paint is pretty affordable ($13 a can online plus some prep and finishing materials) and a can does 11-15 sq ft. I did some more research and there has not been any discussion about this product on here, but there are a lot of consumers who rave about the results. So I purchased the product: SEM marine Vinyl Coat in the Mystic White color and I am blown away by the results. I started by just trying the removable seat on the pass through in my AR230, as we do not use that much. So if it sucked, I would not be that disappointed. I Figured for $20 in products, It was worth it as this winter we were prepared to spend the 2500 to replace the seats anyway.

I will post before and after photos as I complete the process -- but I am already sold after 1 cushion. I highly recommend it. I am curious how long it will last, but the reviews say it lasts.

http://www.smsdistributors.com/products/sem-marine-vinyl-coat

You will also need the Vinyl Prep as well as the Tack free clear coat -- But the whole process is pretty quick. Clean, Mask off the non white piping and non-White areas, prep coat, 2 coats of Vinyl paint, 2 coats of clear -- 24 hours later -- my seat looks brand new. $114 got me 5 cans of paint, 2 cans of clear and 1 can of prep -- Shipped, It was worth the small investment for a great looking result.

I wanted to share as there are a lot of people who have posted about getting their seats replaced and I would have never found this product if it were not through a series of thoughts and ideas, initiated by this forum. Not to mention -- I feel like I have the freedom to relax about new clothing staining the seats.

Look for updates in the next week.

Last edited:
I will post before and after photos as I complete the process -- but I am already sold after 1 cushion. I highly recommend it. I am curious how long it will last, but the reviews say it lasts.

http://www.smsdistributors.com/collections/boat-and-automotive-reconditioning-paints-primers-and-repair-compounds-for-fabric-plastic-and-metal-surfaces/products/sem-marine-vinyl-coat

Great work! I am interested to see how this works out for you.

Note: I couldn't get your link to work, but Googled and came up with this (same page, I believe): http://www.smsdistributors.com/products/sem-marine-vinyl-coat

I used DupliColor to cover up ugly staining on a front bow cushion. It seems to be solid stuff, we'll see how it holds up over the summer.

I'm going to be replacing the vinyl this fall/winter anyways.. this is more or less an experiment to see how well it works.

Protip: if you're gonna do this as a fix, be prepared to do the whole boat. It makes all the other "white" seats look brown. It's even a little brighter than the gelcoat.

I used it on the hammered grey on the swim deck. It does work and it has held up. The only problem is that the material itself has deteriorated and the paint can't fix this. We are getting all the vinyl replaced this off season.

Protip: if you're gonna do this as a fix, be prepared to do the whole boat. It makes all the other "white" seats look brown. It's even a little brighter than the gelcoat.

Great Pro Tip. I will say that the seat I painted last night is BRIGHT. I am planning on doing all of the seats -- and this repair is meant more as an entire boat solution rather than a spot repair.

Have you tried to clean the seats with Simple Green at 100% with a medium stiff brush and cotton rag?

You might be surprised at the results.

Use bleach for the moldy areas followed by Simple Green.

I did not try that, but I have tried a lot of products and have made no progress.

Here is the pass through seat progress. image.jpg

There is a company that can treat these stains and "allegedly" remove them for good, and process is less expensive and time consuming. The company used to be called Pink Away solution, but has since been bought out by gestalt scientific.

Back