• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VRX 243 vs VRX 223 side by side observations

Brendon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
Hey guys,

So I got a chance to compare the 223 and 243 literally side by side, so I figured Id post my observations for anyone in between the two:

-Spacewise I was really surprised. I figured the 243 would be a lot bigger, but they were actually very very close to the same.

- Believe it or not, the 223 actually has SIGNIFICANTLY more main seating along the left wall. I figured the 243 would have more space due to the length, but because of the way the passenger seat folds down, the 223 actually has enough room for two full grown adults to sit with feet up on the seats without overlapping at all.

- The 243 does have a noticably longer front seating area. 223 your feet have to bend to the side a little but the 243 is definitely long enough.

- Not sure why this was never made known, but the 243 actually has flip up arm rests in the front area! theyre actually really neat!

- The 243 has about an extra .5-1 ft extra space on the seat behind the driver.

- The glove box on the 223 is PATHETIC. Just wow. I mean literally the depth of a soda can width. Then again the 243 doesnt even have one... Lame

- The folding passenger seat on the 223 is definitely better design than the 243 because it goes all the way down, but it leaves a good 3" gap where you sit, so be prepared for your rear to go right on the gap if you slouch at all. If youre ok with customizing you may be able to modify the fiberglass or seat on the 243 to go all the way flat.

-Obviously the 243 has a head and the 223 doesnt

- The difference in length between the two is at the front seating, the head compartment, and the bench behind the driver seat, each one is about a foot. But again not really as noticeable as you would think.

Other than that I think everything was almost exactly the same. So if youre between the two, go with the 243 if you need the head compartment, or go with the 223 for better seating, otherwise theyre mostly the same.

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hey guys,

So I got a chance to compare the 223 and 243 literally side by side, so I figured Id post my observations for anyone in between the two:
My thoughts exactly and why I went with the 223. A friend was looking at both and leaning towards the 243, but preferred the seating of the 223. A few nits with either but overall nice layout. Anxiously awaiting delivery next month.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brendon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
Exactly. I was the exact same way. So now I'm up between the 223 or a scarab 215 (unless I decide to mod the seat ... Which basically involves cutting the fiberglass to the left of the seat and machining custom seat brackets, plus maybe add padding to the head door… who knows….)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice write up @Brendon . Modifying the seating area sounds like a lot of work on a new boat. Would up you do it right away or whenever?

Brendon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
Im sure if I did Id do it right away (before boating season started). Having done fiberglass work before it would basically just involve using a dremel (or something comparatively narrow to get in the gap) to cut a notch in the left side (it appears the right side is the same just different bracket) then use several layers of woven fiberglass to fill it in. Then just sand smooth, put down some matching layers of gelcoat sand and buff. Bracketwise I would guess you could probably just order two of the 223 seat hinge replacements and swap them.

The only thing to consider is if you're ok with the seat blocking the head door closed if the seat was down. Trying to think of a way to relocate or redesign the bracket to allow it to still open but haven't thought of anything yet. If I do end up getting one instead of a scarab Ill figure it out the rest of the way and post a DIY.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really like the layout of the 223 and the exterior look, I would upgrade to the 200 HP, Im not super into the digital displays and like the look of the analog package instead. Cant wait to hear about someone actually owning and driving one. Please post up your findings and thoughts. Good luck

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
V-223VRX-Overhead-15.png

prwdmd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I just got my 243 VR with the upgraded 250 rotax engines. Only have had it out on the water a couple times... but so far it's pretty amazing. The initial break in on the supercharged engines is 10 hours before I have to get oil changed and so I've only been able to go 3/4 throttle... but the sound coming from those engines is phenomenal. It gets up on plane very fast. Most impressive is the ride quality.... very smooth over choppy water. Having a head compartment is very nice. I think I went with almost all the upgrades... so LCD cockpit, pump out porta-potti, supercharged engines, upgraded sound system. Now if I can only master the low speed steering I'll be all set.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What do you mean about the sound being phenomenal? Just a cool sound or extremely loud, or what? At cruise, would you call it loud, quiet or in between? Easy to have a conversation with a passenger without shouting over the engine noise?

prwdmd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The engine sound combined with the superchargers just sounds really nice. It's not that loud... I'd say it's comparable to most boats. You can have a conversation without shouting at cruise.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The engine sound combined with the superchargers just sounds really nice. It's not that loud... I'd say it's comparable to most boats. You can have a conversation without shouting at cruise.
My display froze up again several times today. Let me know if you have any issues. Mine started around the 6 hour mark. Probably just a software glitch.

prwdmd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
No display issues. But does anyone know how to download lake maps??

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That 243 Vortex will be my next boat after my current Scarab 195 HOI

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That 243 Vortex will be my next boat after my current Scarab 195 HOI
Any reason you won't be sticking with the Scarab line of boats?

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No serious reasons, I love the looks of that Vortex. Although, I love my Scarab