• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake tower - Bimini support weld issue - now what?

Cparker2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Getting the 2019 242x boat ready for the season and found this crack at the weld joint starboard side.

I’m hesitant to pick the paint away.
I’ll call a dealer tomorrow.

Any advice? Warranty issue? I’ve had the boat for 12 months!

BB89F2A8-D166-4A7F-B7FD-342018B7FFA1.jpeg2FA38A83-F85B-46BD-9DD0-6CF39CF4EFCE.jpeg

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
It definitely looks like a stress crack as it actually traveled across the weld. Most cracks from poor welds happen under the weld or parallel with it. I would take it in but I would be prepared if they ask if you tow with the canvas up as that would maybe cause that type of crack.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is very concerning! Can you pls keep us posted on how this is being handled and how it turns out. I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction with no headaches!

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No chance that’s just the powder coat cracking? Tough to gauge depth in that pic.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It definitely looks like a stress crack as it actually traveled across the weld. Most cracks from poor welds happen under the weld or parallel with it. I would take it in but I would be prepared if they ask if you tow with the canvas up as that would maybe cause that type of crack.
Wait, are you not allowed to tow with the canvas up? My canvas has a specific zippered area to allow rope pass through. My thoughts is that this will be a warranty issue and a quick one. To the OP, I wouldn't tow anything until you remedy the situation. Hopefully your dealership goes to bat for you.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Can't tow on the trailer...with the canvas up....

Cparker2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It is tough to gauge depth of crack, I considered peeling back the powder coating. Given she is still under warranty, I decided against it.

I don't tow with the top on, but we do tow to the lake every weekend. There is an adjustment to raise/lower the bimini in the bow (it sort of pivots the bimini and lifts the front while lowering the back). I don't usually operate in the 'tilted back' mode as it can interfere w/ wake tower rope and it rubs the ropes a bit. Worthy of note, it is VERY hard to adjust to the tilted back position, and screw the bolt in - there is a misalignment of about 1/4 inch. (always has been) I never really worried with it as I don't run it that way, in fact, just really pivot it back when cleaning so I don't hit my head on the bow side. I'm scheduling the boat for service/repair and will keep you informed.

Cparker2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Update: Dropped it off at dealer yesterday. Nothing worthy of note yet.

Cparker2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Update:

Dealer has submitted pictures for warranty repair to Yamaha. Says will know in a week if covered.

Cparker2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Boat still in shop, Yahmaha is repairing under warranty. Weld repaired yesterday.
Have been waiting for paint to be delivered!

Cparker2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dealer repaired under warranty, picked up last weekend.

Note to self; take boat in during off season!!!

Paint match is a little off can’t tell from the ground or more than 5 feet away - I’m not happy about the paint job. C’est la vie!!