• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake wedge help

Buckeye Boater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I installed the universal wake wedge tonight on my 17 212x. I angled it like I’ve seen in videos to be just at the top of the jet blast.

We have stock ballast plus an 1100lb bag on the floor and the wake wedge is kicking spary up in the riders face and doesn’t seem to be doing anything else. I played with the angle a bit but nothing.

We are waiting on a swim deck bag, is it a question of just needing more ballast??

Thanks

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You will have to keep playing with the Wedge to get it dialed in right for your boat. Plus I don't think putting an additional 1100 lbs in the center is going to help. You need the weight on the back corner. Try running with just the stock ballast in the port tank and put everyone on that side along with the wedge.
@jcyamaharider I know you helped @Brian eilrich get his 2017 212X dialed in. Got any suggestions?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not more ballst but ballast in the correct spot. You have to list the boat and it needs butt weight. After that you should be good.

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah, on my 242, I generally fill all ballast, then put another 400lbs on the swim platform on the surf side. It’s amazing how much more that extra 400lb cleans up the wake.

And yes, the rub rail is under water and I notice the bulge pump runs more often. Which tells me there’s a leak around the rail somewhere. It’s not enough that I’m worried about it but enough so I won’t keave the boat with that extra weight back there.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed the universal wake wedge tonight on my 17 212x. I angled it like I’ve seen in videos to be just at the top of the jet blast.

We have stock ballast plus an 1100lb bag on the floor and the wake wedge is kicking spary up in the riders face and doesn’t seem to be doing anything else. I played with the angle a bit but nothing.

We are waiting on a swim deck bag, is it a question of just needing more ballast??

Thanks
Also - don't give it too much angle. Mine works best with only two full turns of the turnbuckle (from fully extended/straitened out to the max). I was surprised as I started way lower/more angled but then gradually arrived at that.

--

Mustangswan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
In my 16 212X I am running about 2200lbs (with help of a custom Wakemakers ballast bag for the port side storage compartment ) of ballast and have the wedge almost straight out. If it the wedge is down to far it gets to where is sprays like you said, try a much less of an angle.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok, good info here.
What do you recommend I start out with for ballast for a surfable wave?
I have the 750lb Gantlin Fatsac for the swim platform surf side. Fatsac 750lb center ski locker, 300 lb (50lb) each steel shot..originally got it to level out the boat after installing dual batteries on the port side. Also wake wedges for both sides...I'm certainly supporting the Gantlin product Line..
I'm thinking of starting with the 750# swim platform, 750# ski locker, and the 300# divided under the rear seats where the factory ballast bags are..that gives me 1800# and maybe some in the factory bags or leave them alone? Or utilize the factory bags (approx. 700#) and leave the ski locker empty? I'm trying to get out to play around with the weight before I spend a week in August on the lake and we run 12 hours a day for 6 days....and I plan on surfing ropeless all week long..
Thanks for any insight..

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
With using the WW, even weight is not ideal. You want a list, even just a slight list will help with the wave. We are editing a video to show everyone this and should be published soon. We also found out that more weight isn't always ideal either. I would fill the transom bag on your surf side, fill the locker bag and go from there. You may be surprised.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok, good info here.
What do you recommend I start out with for ballast for a surfable wave?
I have the 750lb Gantlin Fatsac for the swim platform surf side. Fatsac 750lb center ski locker, 300 lb (50lb) each steel shot..originally got it to level out the boat after installing dual batteries on the port side. Also wake wedges for both sides...I'm certainly supporting the Gantlin product Line..
I'm thinking of starting with the 750# swim platform, 750# ski locker, and the 300# divided under the rear seats where the factory ballast bags are..that gives me 1800# and maybe some in the factory bags or leave them alone? Or utilize the factory bags (approx. 700#) and leave the ski locker empty? I'm trying to get out to play around with the weight before I spend a week in August on the lake and we run 12 hours a day for 6 days....and I plan on surfing ropeless all week long..
Thanks for any insight..
I will defer to @Brian eilrich and @buckbuck as I don't have a 21' boat. But, all I'm running is the swimdeck bag, and ski locker and it looks pretty darn good. I guess I would say start with that. If you weigh down the rear much more with your underseat bags, I would guess that you'll need to put some bodies or your steel bags in the bow.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks..that was my next try..The first try I filled the transom bag (excellent tip using my ryobi cordless air filler prior to water) and filled the factory ballast. I couldn't get in to try it but the wave looked great but short..I think I had too much stern weight, so I think if I fill the ski locker leave the factory empty it will stretch out the wave..