• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wakeboard Questions?

Wyoboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hello,
We have had a blast with our 242x e-series this year, sad to pack it away for the winter. Skiing, tubing, wakeboard, surfing, knee boarding, kids love it all!

I am a fair snowboarder and no issues water skiing or surfing so I thought the transition to wakeboard would be easy. No issues getting up, pop right up every time.

Maybe it is a operator error / technique issue but my current board seems to constantly bounce or hop while going, even when the water is glass. Not happening when the kids ride their board. I try and ride straight legged and make the board do the work but it still bounces to the point it just isn't fun. Is it maybe too aggressive of board for a beginner? Bindings are currently set right in the middle of the settings, toes slightly out. Do I need to move the bindings in/out or forward/back?

75' wakeboard rope hooked to the tower.
CWB Blaze board - 140cm

I weigh 205 lbs, right at 6'. Is this the right board for me? any suggestions?
Thanks

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting question... I've never heard of the phenomenon while riding. Sounds like it's got a porpoising effect going on.

I watched a review on your board and it should make for a predictable ride and the size board seems like it should be good as well... the one thing that comes to mind is speed, what are you being towed at, have you tried varying the speed?

Wyoboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting question... I've never heard of the phenomenon while riding. Sounds like it's got a porpoising effect going on.

I watched a review on your board and it should make for a predictable ride and the size board seems like it should be good as well... the one thing that comes to mind is speed, what are you being towed at, have you tried varying the speed?
Think it was about 23mph for me. I would pull my 11 year old between 18-20 which seemed to suit him well.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Think it was about 23mph for me. I would pull my 11 year old between 18-20 which seemed to suit him well.
23mph - That's very fast! However the E-cruise is notoriously inaccurate so it could be off with another GPS unit. I don;t know if that is causing your porpoising behavior but it does seem high, I would go 17-18mph for a beginner.

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
23 is alright if you're comfortable with it. It is in the range for a advanced rider.

I have a new thought. What type of rope are you using? Standard ski ropes are designed to stretch. Your kids being lighter and being towed slower won't be putting as much pressure on the rope, but you being larger and being towed faster could be experiencing some spring back off of the rope. Wakeboard specific ropes are designed to have little or no stretch, which could eliminate the effect, if that's the cause. I just purchased a Ronix 3.0 Wakeboard Rope. I had been using a regular nylon multi section ski rope prior. I was having a problem with stretch and having it go limp while jumping. My hope is it will maintain some tension in the air and give me some control in the air. I've yet to use it, since my season is now over... :( But, I'm wondering if a new more stable will solve your issue...? Might be worth a shot.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's good advice. We too switch to a no-stretch wakeboard rope this past year and it made quite a bit of difference.

At first, we had no idea what speed to tow at. I was in total waterski mode when we started out at 25mph. It felt like we were constantly skipping the wave, and not carving it.

We then saw a monster wakeboat go by and it looked like it was doing all of 15mph, and the gal being towed was making these big beefy carves like a snowboarder and having the time of her life.

So we went about as slow as our boat at the time would go 15-18 and still stay on plane. It was a blast. Now with the 242, we can cruise all day at 18mph and it seems perfect for carving with the board. The girls love it, and they can play with the wave and not just get thrown into it at mach speed. I am about 240lb, so I get amused playing on the lip of the wave and making big carves. Jumping the wake is still new to us, but it will come.

Good luck!

Wyoboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good advice, too fast makes sense. We are using a good Wakeboard (no stretch) rope, seemed spendy at the time but I guess like everything else, its worth it. For my situation will try slowing things down and see how it goes. Thanks for the feedback.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Weird for sure. I've ridden dozens of boards and never experienced that. Never even heard of it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can get a board to do that on purpose by "pumping" it. Similar to what the wakesurf guys do to catch up to the wave if they're falling off the back (or the hydrofoil guys to keep moving). I'm wondering if you're legs are too stiff. You should have knees bent slightly, and the majority of your weight on the back foot. Also your arms should be slightly bent with the handle just below shoulder height. Too high or low of handle pull will do wonky things, as will overly "stiff" riders.

Gotta be "loose" and "flowing" in your body language when you ride. Just like dancing if you're too stiff, nothing moves or feels right.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree on that being a bit too fast - I pull riders your size right at 19-20mph. Also, definitely let your knees bend and take some of the shock... unless jumping the wake.

Wyoboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good feedback... I may have been too tight. When I water ski I get pretty tight while carving and really dig in. I just need to spend more time on the board, relax and try to enjoy it. I had never been on a wake board, never been out with people have done much of it. Just trying to figure it out with family and friends... all rookies. LOL.

We seemed to have figured out surfing, at least getting up and carving around... only my boy has gone ropeless; stock ballast near 100% and 6-7 adults in the boat. I purchased some additional ballast and played around with them some, not ideal losing the seat or floor space. Really looking forward to trying the new WakeBooster; videos look pretty sweet.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good feedback... I may have been too tight. When I water ski I get pretty tight while carving and really dig in. I just need to spend more time on the board, relax and try to enjoy it. I had never been on a wake board, never been out with people have done much of it. Just trying to figure it out with family and friends... all rookies. LOL.

We seemed to have figured out surfing, at least getting up and carving around... only my boy has gone ropeless; stock ballast near 100% and 6-7 adults in the boat. I purchased some additional ballast and played around with them some, not ideal losing the seat or floor space. Really looking forward to trying the new WakeBooster; videos look pretty sweet.
For surfing - get the Gatlin swim deck bag and the wake wedge, and need another bag for the center/ski locker (up to 800lbs fits). That's it.
upload_2018-10-9_19-42-50.png

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wakeboard specific ropes are designed to have little or no stretch, which could eliminate the effect, if that's the cause. I just purchased a Ronix 3.0 Wakeboard Rope. I had been using a regular nylon multi section ski rope prior.
That's good advice. We too switch to a no-stretch wakeboard rope this past year and it made quite a bit of difference.
x2 on a good quality rope!

We used to just run with generic nylon, my wakeboard rope got so beat up I finally got a nice new one - big difference! Also love the extra length, give ms some room to roam. Had it in the water for the first time today after work - I like it very much!
upload_2018-10-9_21-7-49.png

--

Wyoboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
x2 on a good quality rope!

We used to just run with generic nylon, my wakeboard rope got so beat up I finally got a nice new one - big difference! Also love the extra length, give ms some room to roam. Had it in the water for the first time today after work - I like it very much!
View attachment 84188

--
We had that same rope... Had. LOL
rope1.jpg

Wyoboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For surfing - get the Gatlin swim deck bag and the wake wedge, and need another bag for the center/ski locker (up to 800lbs fits). That's it.
View attachment 84179

--
That is a sweet looking wave for sure! We have 1400lbs of stock ballast and I have two 800lb and one 500lb bags. Haven't used them all, don't plan to. Wanted to have different weights that I could try out in different locations. I tried to fill the two stock bags in the rear plus a full 800lb on the very rear bottom deck. It was way tool much weight loaded at the back. Boat would just plow with the nose in the air. It wouldn't plane out, couldn't get going faster than like 7mph and the wake was just all washed out. There is a point of too much weight loaded in the rear.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a sweet looking wave for sure! We have 1400lbs of stock ballast and I have two 800lb and one 500lb bags. Haven't used them all, don't plan to. Wanted to have different weights that I could try out in different locations. I tried to fill the two stock bags in the rear plus a full 800lb on the very rear bottom deck. It was way tool much weight loaded at the back. Boat would just plow with the nose in the air. It wouldn't plane out, couldn't get going faster than like 7mph and the wake was just all washed out. There is a point of too much weight loaded in the rear.
It should be doable.
I have run with fully filled:
swim deck bag (~700-800?) (literally overhanging in the back)
plus full ski locker (800)
and about ~700 strbd and ~500 port (plus two batteries) under seat storage (built in custom WakeMakers bags)

The only reason I don't do it all the time is - because I get close to the same wave quality with just ski locker and swim deck (filled to the max) plus of course the Gatlin wedge.

I do run with L13 cones, and my pumps and intake tunnels are ported/sealed, and I have the intake grate mod (@gmtech16450yz style).

--