• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water bubbling up into ski locker

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Over the weekend we were out on the boat all day and I noticed some water pooling at the bottom of the locker, most likely from the toys we had put away. I thought this was no big deal and opened the drain plug at the bottom of the ski locker to let the water drain out. Instead of draining, it started FILLING with water from below!

I assume this means my bilge was full? When I put the boat back on the trailer, a LOT of water drained out of the plug. There was still a slow trickle of water after driving 10 miles back to the storage place I keep the boat.

I did some quick checking for leaks and noticed that the plastic cover that attaches to the hull in the clean out compartment isn’t fully attached. The screw in one corner is stripped and isn’t fastened to the hull. There’s a screw there but I can lift up that corner with my hand. I tried tightening it but it just spins.

Could this be my problem?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Over the weekend we were out on the boat all day and I noticed some water pooling at the bottom of the locker, most likely from the toys we had put away. I thought this was no big deal and opened the drain plug at the bottom of the ski locker to let the water drain out. Instead of draining, it started FILLING with water from below!

I assume this means my bilge was full? When I put the boat back on the trailer, a LOT of water drained out of the plug. There was still a slow trickle of water after driving 10 miles back to the storage place I keep the boat.

I did some quick checking for leaks and noticed that the plastic cover that attaches to the hull in the clean out compartment isn’t fully attached. The screw in one corner is stripped and isn’t fastened to the hull. There’s a screw there but I can lift up that corner with my hand. I tried tightening it but it just spins.

Could this be my problem?
That tray leaks like a siv. I mean it's really really bad. The rubber gasket around the edge of the hatch isn't much better. I had a toddler that liked to sit on the upper deck and pour buckets of water over his head. Each bucket over his head resulted in about 1/2 bucket out of the bilge pump. It's terrible.

Lots of people remove that tray and reseal it. Either with silicone, or rubber gasketing. Also those "port holes" in the cleanout tray leak around the screws. All depends on how dilligent you want to be about keeping water out of the boat.

I've all buy given up on keeping water out of the boat, and just rely on the bilge to keep it from sinking. This is the leakiest boat I've ever been on, bar none......and I bought it brand new.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did your bilge pump ever kick on? That will be the first sign that you have a problem when on the water.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Heavy rains last night while the boat was in its slip and just like @zipper says the AR230 water sits right in the middle of the boat. Bilge pump kicked in for the first time as we got under way and the bow raised up. Seems to be the only water In boat problem that we’ve had so far.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unfortunately, water like that is common. Not right, but common. Certainly start with the obvious stuff--like you found. Yes, it is a 2020 and yes the dealer should take care of that for you. But I am of the camp that if I do it myself a) I know it was done and done right and b) I don't have to be without my boat for 3 weeks while it sits at the dealer. So it has to be pretty severe for me to take something to the dealer (and, in fact, that has never happened).

Getting every drop of water leaking may or may not be practical. But you should be able to get it down to a much more manageable amount. I have not rabidly chased leaks (like my good friend @MrMoose did--he sprinkled baby powder in the bilge to track the last leaks), but for me putting a thin weatherstripping seal around the plate holding the cleanout ports basically solved most of my water issues and I now basically get none.

I would recommend fixing the one big one you found and see what you get. Go then from there...