• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water collecting on bimini top

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Every time it rains gallons of water collect on the bimini top stretching it and putting a lot of stress on the fabric. I have a 2018 24 foot E series Limited. The top does have a zippered cutout that you can undo to allow sun through. I can unzip and roll this up which allows the water to pass through but there must be a better solution.

This is just a very poor design and the only thing I can think of is putting a grommet in the top to allow the water to drain. I am naturally a little hesitant to intentionally put a whole in my cover and was wondering if any one else has encountered this issue. I searched the website because I was sure there must be some information on this but could not find anything.

Thanks.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi @Scoop. Maybe I'm not completely understanding your issue. Are you saying you are collecting water on top of the Bimini while the boat is in use or when it's not in use, like overnight at a slip or on the trailer?

If it's the latter I would suggest just putting it down when the boat is not in use as the deck drain and scupper system will take care of any rain. The bimini was only intended as shade. You are correct that a water load will damage this expensive attachment over time.

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks, It collects when boat is not in use. I don’t think taking the bimini off is a good solution because I would be constantly taking it off and on which would probably do more damage than good. I guess I can experiment with the tilt on the lift but am still curious to see how other folks are dealing with this issue.

Scoop

Kevin-yyz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wet slip my boat and had the same problem. I now leave it with the “sunroof” rolled up. This solves the water pooling problem and we mostly operate in this configuration anyway.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I hate the sunroof! Useless IMO..... Right after I got the boat, we had a big storm and I had a huge pond of water sitting in the sunroof area.... stretched it out and just made me sick.

Now, I always open it up and just leave it hanging down. It's work to roll it up just to sit there. My boat is in a wet slip and I don't bother rolling it up.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mine is a 2016. Doesn't have the sunroof, which I am glad about, and no pooling at all.

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone see any downside to putting a grommet right in the middle of the “pooling” area? It can be very windy and it would get trashed very quickly if I just let it hang. I have rolled it up and this method works so I have to choose between a grommet and rolling. I love the shade on hot days, the bimini is quite large is just a shame they did not come up with a better design.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did the 2018's not have the grommet right in the middle of the sunroof? My 2019 has a grommet which lets the water drain.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did the 2018's not have the grommet right in the middle of the sunroof? My 2019 has a grommet which lets the water drain.
No grommet.... my guess is they heard plenty of complaints! Can you share a picture?

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ill snap one this weekend and get it posted.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I saw somewhere that someone took a piece of pvc pipe and melted the end so that it would lay mostly flat between the tube and cover and extend across to the other side, providing a little extra tension to keep the cover from sagging.

The example I’m thinking of actually built a framework going front to back from a windshield to rear seat back so that the boat cover wouldn’t hold water. Similar principle could apply though. Just insert the pipe or two when you park.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
My '18 242x e has the grommet hole in the center of the sunroof.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I hate the sunroof! Useless IMO..... Right after I got the boat, we had a big storm and I had a huge pond of water sitting in the sunroof area.... stretched it out and just made me sick.

Now, I always open it up and just leave it hanging down. It's work to roll it up just to sit there. My boat is in a wet slip and I don't bother rolling it up.
We have a 16 and no issue. @Shookie time to engineer that snap in PVC brace we talked about :)

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We have a 16 and no issue. @Shookie time to engineer that snap in PVC brace we talked about :)
Yeah I know.... I actually have a new tower cover waiting on me at my dealer. Issues with it tearing last year and they finally agreed to give me a new one. Curious to see if there’s a hole in the new one.

In the end, not a huge PITA to unzip it while it’s parked....

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Just installed the grommet and so my water collection issue should be solved. The whole process took about 40 minutes with the majority of the time taking off and reinstalling the bimini. I would recommend practicing on a tarp prior to putting the hole in your top. I actually laid my bimini top on the ground upside down so the rounded concave down potion of the grommet is on the top. The grommet set cost about $10 at Home Depot. I went with the smaller size grommet since it will drain sufficiently and BEB7B6B6-EE7D-4771-B43E-94C389C3BEFB.jpeg8826FA15-4096-4057-A6F5-39C5490716B5.jpegpretty much just centered the grommet in the sunroof so a few ounces of water if any is all that can pool on top vs gallons previously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom