• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water in engine compartment.

tperry0113

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have owned a 2006 AR 230 for a little over a month. I love the boat and have not had any issues until now.

I launched boat and got on plane doing about 40, and I suddenly stopped, and the wake washed up on the boat. This is after 5 minutes. Thought nothing of it tried going back on plane but boat wouldn't go over 10 mph. Stopped, checked the engine compartment, and the water was almost at the top of the engine. The ski locker was pretty full, too. I turned the bilge on, and the water wasn't draining. I found out the bilge hose busted. Drained more than half of the water from the engine compartment. Then I returned to the dock and pulled the drain plug and the water drained out. We taped the busted house and went back in the water for 3 hours and in that time, I noticed a little water in the engine compartment, but nothing to make me worry, even though I never noticed water in there before. Heck, never even turned bildge on until today.

The drain plug was tight and it does not appear to be a bad scupper valve since we operated the boat for 3 hours and did not flood it. What else could have caused that much water to get in engine bay in the first 10 minutes but not for the remaining 3 hours? Also should bildge turn on automatically?

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bilge should run automatically approximately every 5 minutes sensing if there is water. You really can’t tell from the outside if your plastic scupper has a crack in it. Check your intermediate bearings as well, those can gush and spray water into the engine bay quickly if the seals are bad. I know you taped up your bilge hose but obviously you should probably replace the entire hose, there may be cracks in it you can’t see!