• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water in fuel

John Heider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have a suspicion that fuel I purchased may have been tainted with water.
Are there any tips that may get the water out of fuel?

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can try Seafoam. I had water fuel issues a couple of years back and ended up pumping all the fuel out and starting over. I also put some water/fuel separator filters in to ensure I never have that problem again.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Come to think of it, I'm surprised these boats don't have water separators already. That's another good project for the offseason.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are pretty certain it's bad fuel, the only sure solution is to pump it out and discard at your local hazardous waste facility.

-Greg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Suspicion is not a lot to go on, for the pain it is to remove all fuel...How much water? They make Heet and Seafoam. if it's not a lot of water I'd consider those. You can also "polish" the fuel for less than the fuel is worth. Fuel/Water Separator and Fuel pump,,, run through all the fuel a couple of times, check separator often. When they switched to Ethanol blend I got a crash course in dealing with crap in your gas tank. Ended up adding dual IN SERIES separators to our boat - Carbed Seadoo back then.

EDIT: I assumed you had a lot of fuel in there. If there is justa few gallons it may not be cost effective to build just to save a little bit of fuel. I stand corrected. ASSUME = Make an ASS of U and ME, or, Sorry!

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry, Yes, I built it on the cheap with about $70 bucks. That's 20 gallons of fuel. May be a toss up depending on how much fuel is in the tank!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ran into this last year when I filled our boat on the lift just before a heavy rain storm. I noticed I had forgotten to put the gas cap back on the tank.

We assumed a certain amount of rain my have gotten into the fuel tank. I went through all the common filters and pump options and with some good advise we heavily treated the fuel with ISO (Heat) over the next couple tanks of fuel.

ISO doesn’t remove the water, but actually allows the water to stay better mixed with the fuel to the point that it will pass through the engine and combustion chamber. (So i have been told). We had no issues at all and condtinued to have a great boating season with no ill effects.

If you are unsure how much water, pump it out. But unless you actually dumped a gallon of water in your tank, ISO should allow you to use up the fuel.

Good luck.