• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water in oil 2007 AR210 help!!

Nikokrzynowek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Back story on the boat. Just bought the boat a month ago. Was told it has been sitting since 2018 on a trailer and hasn’t been touched since. Prior to that the boat was moored at a marina on a fresh water river. The end of the season of 2018 the owner was having issues with one engine getting rpm up, said he believes the Intake grate just needed to be siliconed. Pulled apart both, ended up doing new impellers sleeves and bearings. Reassembled then I figured I’d warm up the engines to change the oil and plugs. Checked oil level on both sticks. Oil looked good was just on the low side of the stick. Started the port side engine, turned water on and within a few seconds the oil pressure light came on. I shut off the water supply then killed the engine. Checked the dipstick and it was full of water. I have not started the starboard side engine yet. I figured maybe the boat wasn’t properly winterized and water froze somewhere and cracked something. I believe both engines would have the same issue so today I removed both engines. Attached are photos of port and starboard engines during the dissambly. I cannot for the life of me find anything. I don’t see any visible external cracks on the blocks. On disassembly of the port engine everything was white milky. No water or oil in cylinders. The water ports on the manifold and heads look perfect no corrosion or pin holes or broken spots like I’ve seen here on the forum. No cracks above the starter. Only thing I noticed was when I pulled the oil cooler off the starboard engine the ground flooded with oil with water in. Anyone have any ideas on what could have happened? Where water sits in the engine / cooler if it wasn’t properly flushed for the winter. What typically cracks on these if not properly winterized. Just trying to narrow down where the issue could be before I start spending excessive money at the machine shop to pressure test everything and start rebuilding everything. Thank you guys any info is much appreciated. I’m new to the Yamaha jet boat world. Always had a inboard outboard bow riders

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Problems with the pumps would have resulted in high RPMs with low speed.

If the problem was not reaching max RPM then spark plugs were the most likely culprit.

The 210 series does not have high output MR-1s. The max RPM of high output MR-1s should be around 10,200 RPM. Mine will occasionally indicate close to 10,400. I believe the max RPM of your standard output MR-1s should be 8,000.

Are you sure that the water was not in there before you started the engine? Even if the water was on before the engine was started water getting into the engine should be rare. The most common path for water to get into the engine is through the intake.

Since you are so far into those engines you might consider rebuilding as high output. I am not sure which parts are different.

Nikokrzynowek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To build into a high output would I need a new ecm for more fuel? Bigger injectors throttle body? As far as oil in the water. When prior to starting the port engine I pulled the dipstick, it was at the low mark but oil looked good. As soon as I started it and put water to the engine the oil / water mixture now completly fills the stick. As for the starboard engine im guessing the water was in the oil when I picked up the boat. I’m guessing something cracked over a few winters with having water inside the engine. I know when I removed the starboard exhaust manifold it was full of water. And when I started the port side engine, prior to connecting the hose, a bunch of water came out of the exhaust port on the transom. So I suspect there was water in the system and was never flushed prior to storage. I’m just not super familiar with the mr1’s and now sure where the water sits and where they would typically crack causing water in oil.

Attachments

Nikokrzynowek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As far as the plugs they look like they’ve never been changed. But I also found the starboard impeller had a caps stuck to it, impeller was warn and both wear rings had a lot of wear

Attachments

Nikokrzynowek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hopefully someone checks out this thread and gives me some more input. I separated both halves of both oil coolers last night, where the water cools the oil, and there was no signs of oil. So im guessing the oil coolers are not cracked. What I did notice was both oil coolers, even the starboard cooler was full of milky water. I never even cranked the starboard engine over, so I am very confused on why the oil is watery. Trying to figure out my next steps. I’m guessing I’ll probably have to disassemble everything and have the block and heads pressure tested. Anyone know of an easy way to remove the drive coupler without the tool stated in the service manual?

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry you’re not getting much luck. Hopefully you didn’t spend too much on the boat since it was a project for sure. If it were me, depending how much work/money the engines will need, I would really try to find donor jet skis to take their engines and drop them in the boat.

The boat has been sitting for 6 years, could it be that due to condensation and oil breakdown that it would turn milky? For what it’s worth, I’ve ran my engines for a solid 2 min before putting them on the hose, never got a temp alarm, now this is after they’ve been sitting overnight at 50-60 degrees, and I’m sure not many would recommend doing this all the time. I do turn them on for 30 seconds to try to keep the water passages dried out. Just wonder if maybe starting them without the hose would’ve produced the same result or not.

I would beg to question if the last owner had the boat towed due to the impeller issues, but you’d have rust in the cylinders due to the water getting in there.. It is quite the mystery you have on your hands for sure.

Nikokrzynowek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wish I could just find a smoking gun and know why and where the water was coming from. I hate to do a rebuild just to put the engines back in and have water enter the oil again. There was no visible signs of water in the oil until I had the engine running and put water to it. It has a be a large leak because within seconds the the water level almost filled the dipstick

Nikokrzynowek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m not sure if this is I’ll help anyone identify what I’m dealing with here but I just pulled the head off the starboard engine. I did not start this engine, and after I pulled it I noticed water in the oil. I did not start the engine because I believed the starter might have been bad. It was only clicking and not spinning the engine over. Port side had no problems what so ever spun right over and fired up. Attached photos is when I pulled the head. Looks as if the motor is locked up. Piston is rusted into the cylinder. I noticed 2 valves in this cylinder are frozen open. I figure whatever the reason for all the water in the port engine is going to be the same as the starboard engine. Both heads are going to the machine shop now for a pressure test and valve job, as I dig further into the crank case and start removing pistons and cranks. Port side engine has no stuck valves, cylinder walls look good and clear, just a lot of water in the oil

Attachments

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Most common water in the oil issues are

Cracked block do a search
cracked head do a search
Exhaust manifold breach attached picture
Oil cooler leak

exh.jpg

Nikokrzynowek

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Exhaust manifolds look perfect surprisingly. I’ll take some photos shortly and upload them. I’ve searched this forum and Yamahajetboat forum and I can’t find much information of cracked blocked or cracked heads. Most of the cracked block threads I find are external cracks above the starter. I know water was sitting in the engines for the 6 years the boat was sitting unused. When I unbolted the exhaust manifold on the starboard engine it was full of water and when I started the port engine a lot of water came out of the exhaust port at the transom.