• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water in Ski Locker

dv_damian57

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
is this the same problem with have with the SX190? Im not home right now so I cant tell if mine has that hole on the front and I dont remember seen it.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The video you posted is of the FSH series and my 2017 SX190 doesn't have that set up for the drainage of the anchor locker. My anchor locker drains straight into a little hole that goes into my ski locker (the large one in the floor) there is no plug for the anchor locker. You can check out my video on it. I did one when I first got the boat and then another just recently where I went down a long list of periodic maintenance.

dv_damian57

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The video you posted is of the FSH series and my 2017 SX190 doesn't have that set up for the drainage of the anchor locker. My anchor locker drains straight into a little hole that goes into my ski locker (the large one in the floor) there is no plug for the anchor locker. You can check out my video on it. I did one when I first got the boat and then another just recently where I went down a long list of periodic maintenance.
Do you have a link?

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to do my best and post the link here. If it fails you can YTube search: Official Yamaha Jetboat Periodic Maintenance By The Book

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow I guess it worked! Didn't know it would pop up the YT Video.

dv_damian57

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to do my best and post the link here. If it fails you can YTube search: Official Yamaha Jetboat Periodic Maintenance By The Book

So the ski locker section drains into bilge area? Im going out this Sunday. Im going to have to inspect everything again when I get back and while Im in the water. Will get back with an update next week. Thanks for the video btw, Ive been watching for a while. Didnt know this was you ;)

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my particular boat the (2017 SX190) there is a little hole in that locker that is unplugged and drains into that large center locker which does have the drain plug.

This center locker aka "ski locker" drains into the floor of the boat which could be called the bilge. The gas tank compartment also has a drain with a plug that also drains to the floor/bilge.

The engine compartment also drains to the bilge but it doesn't have a plug. Its open to the bilge but in the opening is the round bilge pump. The bilge pump will catch and remove water when the water volume is large enough in the floor/bilge area.

When the water is not of enough volume the drain plugs at the rear of the boat under the swim platform will exit the water when the boat is at rest and at a steep angle like being on a trailer.

Glad to meet you over here. I was encouraged by "Don Johns Music" to spend more time on this forum than the other.

Good Luck! Aloha!

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
This is the answer. The 19's lean forward REALLY badly at idle/stand still. Put a few people in the bow and it makes it worse. Just not enough length and not enough weight in the stern to keep a proper attitude. Same reason they bleed speed off so badly with people in the bow.

The water, as best I can tell, comes in through the rear storage drain. As you're going down the lake, with any load or waves, the stern of the boat "bounces" against the water. Each bounce causes the rear storage area drain to backflow water into the rear storage area. It then leaks through the poorly sealed cover in that area, and then into the bilge. Because you're "nose down" all the time, water runs to the bow and then stays there where the bilge pump can't remove it.

The best solutions I've found are to reseal the plug in the ski locker and in the fuel tank compartments.
Just remove them, put some clear silicone on the back and reinstall. Then lube the O-rings in the drain plugs generously with spa lubricant, or silicone spray, or something NOT water soluble. After that, remove the rear cleanout tray cover and seal around it with the same silicone. Also, be certain to get under the access hatches with silicone, and around each of the screws. Lube the access hatches with the same spa/silicone lubricant as you did the plugs. Finally, plug all your cupholders, or install drains overboard for them. That was a HUGE contributor to the leaks in my 190. Keep all the plugs for all the compartments IN while you're on the water. This will keep the majority of the nuisance water OUT of the passenger accessible areas. Likewise, a few minutes each trip at 6-8mph with the bow real high will help get the water to the back and let the bilge pump do it's job.

Once I had those problem areas addressed, the water in the bilge was reduced significantly. For the most part, my boat stays dry in the bilge now, despite the best efforts of my 10 and 3 yr old boys, or heavy "front loading" of people in the bow.

I can take some pics if anyone wants them to describe what I'm talking about.
You indicate in red (above) to reseal the plugs, easy enough. The drain hole in the ski locker as shown in @JBehrens photo leads to the engine compartment as you know. Is there supposed to be an actual cap/plug for this drain hole?

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Most likely it's the aft deck plate (around the clean out plug) that isn't sealed. Every time you stop, the wave overtakes the aft deck and a few cups of water come in. If you're driving slowly the bow doesn't come up and the water can't make it to the bilge pump, which is several inches above the low point.

Jtown1973

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I noticed some water in my bilge after loading. The clean out plug port was full of water and it looked like water was entering through the mechanical access port just to the right of the clean out port. It seems that water is entering there before it can make it up to the drain hole. I just ordered a mechanical access port riser from jetboatpilot and going to install to see if that doesn't fix it. It raises the mechanical port cover by 3/4", which is enough for water to go into the drain versus leaking into the bilge through the port cover. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can install and test it, but I'm hoping it makes a difference.

Robbyw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have. A 21 AR250 and was having the same problem. Water coming in the ski locker if people were sitting in the bow and at slow speeds. The water was coming in the anchor locker through the drain hole. If I laid down and looked at the top and front of the ski locker there is an opening from the anchor locker. Water would then flow from the anchor locker to the ski locker directly.

here is my write up on it.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I noticed some water in my bilge after loading. The clean out plug port was full of water and it looked like water was entering through the mechanical access port just to the right of the clean out port. It seems that water is entering there before it can make it up to the drain hole. I just ordered a mechanical access port riser from jetboatpilot and going to install to see if that doesn't fix it. It raises the mechanical port cover by 3/4", which is enough for water to go into the drain versus leaking into the bilge through the port cover. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can install and test it, but I'm hoping it makes a difference.
it's an easy install, added to our 195s.