• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water in the helm - FSH 195 sport 2021

TomP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I read the leaks in the FAQ. I've done some searching here. I'm still at a bit of a loss. I've got a 2021, FSH 195 sport. I'm getting water in the helm when it rains. I only get water in the helm when it rains.

After drying things out yesterday (Sunny day in NY area):
  1. I've plugged the wholes in the bow drink holders. I also stuffed rags in the holders.
  2. I shot water into the anchor locker for about 5 min and I did not get water in the hem during that time.
  3. I shot water all over the bow deck. I did not get water in the hem during that time.
The effects of hurricane Henri started to hit the NY area yesterday. After 24 hours of rain, I have water in the helm. I looked inside the starboard storage to see how my plugged drink holders are working. I saw water dripping from the mounting screws. I'm guessing that there was no caulking used to mount the drink holders. But the drip was not fast enough to account for the volume of water.
  1. For a boat that is kept in the water, should the plug in helm be closed or should it be open to allow water to drain into the bilge? Is the helm the normal drainage route to the bilge for these boats? I closed it to keep bilge water from running forward.The manual also states that all plugs should be closed when the boat is in the water.Am I impeding the design by closing the helm plug?
  2. Did I accurately test to see if I have the anchor locker drain problem or is there another test that I can perform?
  3. Is there any place else that I can test for water?
Other than this water issue, I love the boat. Makin memories.

Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Florida195fsh

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've also noticed this on my 195 fsh, but I don't have nearly as much water in the helm area as you. I couldn't figure out where it's coming from after a rain. I am planning on ordering the helm cover.

TomP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I ordered a helm cover from Jetboat Pilot back in July and I'm told that they are back ordered until September. I sprayed the helm yesterday when it was nice and no water entered the helm. The helm drainage looks good. I also replaced the zipties that hold the hoses on the helm drink holders with hose clamps after I bumped into one and the hose disconnected. After this is solved, I'm still thinking about adding a bilge pump in there. Possibly just having it output to the deck which will drain right out. It sounds like a simple insurance policy. But I really want to solve this. I believe the water is coming from some place forward.

Tom

TomP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Tanking this one piece at a time:

For a boat that is kept in the water, should the plug in helm be closed or should it be open to allow water to drain into the bilge?

Thanks,

Tom

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
All of my cup holders leak because they are not sealed (YET). Also, my rocker switch panel on my helm is not sealed either. Although I do have a t-top. That does seem like an awful lot of water though. Can you have someone shut you in that compartment and then spray water all over to see where all your leaks are? that may help to identify multiple points of entry.
This may not be the right answer, but my opinion on the compartment plugs is that they should be installed anytime the boat is on the water. Of course you can drain them into the bilge and let it pump the excess water out while on the water. I would think it would provide you more buoyancy if you were to take on water from somewhere else keeping the boat from totally sinking. I would like to hear some opinions on this as well.